• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1841 census look up please

Hi

I am trying to locate an Ellen Lawton (possibly spelt Laughton) on 1841 census, she was born in yorkshire @ 1838 and should be living (possibly Tadcaster)in 1841. I have found her on 1851 census with (it states) her father John McDonald and her sister Elizabeth Lawton b @ 1847. Any help would be great

Hi MLR

MACDONALD, John M 35 1806 Ireland
MACDONALD, Ellen F 3 1838 Yorkshire
MACDONALD, Elizabeth F 0 (9 months) 1841 Yorkshire
MACDONALD, Maggaritt* F 25 1816 Ireland
HASSIN, Peter F 25 1816 Ireland
HASSIN, Mary F 20 1821 Ireland

RG number: HO107 Piece: 1357 Book/Folio: 15/10 Page: 12

Registration District: Tadcaster
Civil Parish: Tadcaster Municipal Borough:
Address: Wighill Land, Tadcaster, Yorkshire

dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks for that. Do you think this is the same family I found on 1851 census where the child Ellen is named as Ellen Laughton (there is no wife on 1851 census). there is also a child called Elizabeth Laughton b @ 1847 Tadcaster. If this were the same family I would presume that Elizabeth McDonald on 1841 census died before 1851. I am clutching at straws here as I am trying to find the early years of Elizabeth Lawton b 1847 Tadcaster and the only one I can find on 1851 census is Elizabeth Laughton as above. thanks again

Sue x

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Sue
It's a puzzle, wondering why they were with father McDonald yet listed as Laughton.
Were they born as McDonald & Laughton/Lawton is a middle name for both of the girls, possibly their mother's maiden name.
Or, were they born Laughton, their mother marrying McDonald who was their step dad??

1861 have a look at this & let me know what you think.
Tadcaster
Elizabeth Lawton boarder 12
RG9/3541/69/12

Cheers
ozn

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi again :)
Did Ellen Lawton marry Henry John Taylor?
I've got them in 1861.
I reckon you should send for the marriage cert which will give details of her father.
As for her mother, will keep on looking.

ozn

Hi MLR

I found this which may help

Birth - Ellen Mcdonald Lowton O/D 1837 Tadcaster ref 23/505
Birth - Elizabeth Lawton A/J 1847 Tadcaster ref 23/654

dave

EDIT 10.35 Sun - sorry got the ref no wrong for Ellen, It is now correct

Last edited:
Hi

Yes, the Elizabeth Lawton b 1847 Tadcaster is the one I am looking for, I have managed to find her on all census except for 1851 (apart from the one which lists John Mcdonald as father. Very confused over the names. Elizabeth married Thomas Ramsden and her name was Lawton on the marriage cert. thanks for all your help

Take care

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi everyone :)
I'm wondering if Elizabeth was the 2nd one born, often parents used the name of their deceased child in memory.
1841 census Tadcaster
John MacDonald bn Ire 35, Ellen 3 born county, Elizabeth 9mnths born county
Marggarett 25 bn Ire, 2 more people before the double strokes to end household.
ozn

HO107/1357/Book 15/Folio 10/Page 12

Hi

Yes, I wondered that too. Noticed on 1841 census that Ellen is listed as MAcdonald along with Elizabeth. Still can't work out the connection. Is Ellen the child of John & Margaret, also baby Elizabeth. Why then on 1851 census is Ellen listed as Laughton(Lawton) along with Elizabeth b @ 1847. Back to the drawing board. thanks for your help in this.

Take care

Hi to all who are trying to help me

Elizabeth Lawton b 1847 Tadcaster appears on 1861 census as "boarder" at a lodging house run by the WESTON family (again in Tadcaster) Is it unusual for a 12yr old girl to be "boarding" (no other family with her) with a family that I can find no connection to her family). There is no occupation listed for Elizabeth. By 1871 she is a servant with the CUSSANS family, can't find her anywhere on 1881 census but 2 months prior to the census being taken she had given birth to a son, ROBERT, (illegitimately) and had left him with a lady called MARY TODD in Tadcaster (ROBERT appears on 1881 census with MARY TODD) By 1891 census ELIZABETH is now married to THOMAS RAMSDEN (THOMAS' 2nd marriage) and ROBERT is living with them as "adopted child". Still can't get my head around the MCDONALD/LAWTON name change

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi again
I 'presumed' they were in Tadcaster in 1881.
Mary Todd 64 bn Ire wid
4 Back Fold BRADFORD
Florrie Todd 9yrs g/dghr bn Bradford
Robt. Lawton 2m lodger bn BRADFORD

Do we look for Elzbth in Bradford and why name her child Robert?

oznannie

Hi

I can only assume that Elizabeth went to Bradford to have her child (out of wedlock), Robert was born Jan 1881 and for some reason Robert was left with Mary Todd and her granddaughter Florrie. I know that this is the right lady as my friend is the granddaughter of Robert and remembers Robert talking about his"mother" Mary, though we do know that Robert's mother was Elizabeth (birth cert), for some reason Robert (having stayed with Mary Todd for the first few years of his life, he went to live with Elizabeth and her new husband Thomas Ramsden by 1891). Robert remembered the "funny irish lady". Have not found Elizabeth on 1881 census though. My friend is sure that there is a family connection between the Lawtons and Todds but as yet neither of us have found a link.

Do appreciate everyone's interest

Take care

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi again
Thanks for info regarding Robert's memories, lovely.
This a baffling post.
Lawton/McDonald, baby Robert, Mary Todd,Florrie???
I'm not much help as I'm not familiar with Yorkshire.
Let's hope someone comes on board with some answers

ozn :)

Hi to all

Still trying to work out Elizabeth Lawton's life, got her marriage cert which shows her father (deceased at the time of the marriage in 1883) as JOHN LAWTON, occ Cattle Dealer. I have now lost my credits on the website I use for census look ups and was hoping that someone could find 1851 JOHN NCDONALD b @ 1803 living in Tadcaster with ELLEN LAUGHTON b 1838, ELIZABETH LAUGHTON b 1847 and check his occupation for me. I would be so grateful. It will keep me going until the birth cert arrives

Take care

Hi mlr

MCDONALD, John Head Widower M 48 1803 Ag Labr Ireland
LAUGHTON, Ellan Daughter F 13 1838 Tadcaster Yorkshire
LAUGHTON, Elizabeth Daughter F 3 1848 Tadcaster Yorkshire

RG number: HO107 Piece: 2353 Folio: 579 Page: 3

Registration District: York
Sub District: Tadcaster
Enumeration District: 10

Address: Tadcaster East, Commercial Street, Tadcaster, Yorkshire

EDIT - there are two deaths in Tadcaster between 1841 and 1851 which could be of interest.
Mary McDonald 1847 and Margaret Lawton O/D 1850 (ref 23/472). Coincidence or what...

Then there is a death of John Lawton A/J 1856 Taddy ref 9c 314.
I just wonder if the Mcdonalds changed their name to Lawton for some reason, possibly Margaret's maiden name??

dave

Last edited:
Hi

I am so confused. Just about to send for birth cert for Elizabeth Lawton which should clear up this mystery (fingers crossed). Another stumbling block is that on BMD there are 2 Elizabeth Lawton's born Tadcaster 1847 I am sure they are the same person but one ref is 22/654 the other is 23/654. What do you think?

Take care

Hi to all who are helping me with this quest looking into Elizabeth Lawton's life.

I found her mariage cert on which it stated that her father was John Lawton (deceased), occupation Cattle dealer. Have now got her birth cert which shows her as being born 23/5/1847 Wighall Lane, Tadcaster to Margaret Lawton (no father named). Again confusion reigns. John Macdonald lived at Wighill Lane in 1841 with wife Margaret, Ellen Lawton b 1837 and Elizabeth Lawton b 1841. By 1851 John Macdonald is a widower? (no wife shown on census) with Elen Laughton b 1837 and Elizabeth Laughton b 1847 (where is the other Elizabeth b 1841). I also found a John Lawton b 1826 Tadcaster living with his family in Wighill Lane Tadcaster on 1841 census. Found him again on 1861 census as unmarried agr. labourer in Tadcaster. Haven't found him yet on 1851 census.

What is going on??? Is John Macdonald and John Lawton one in the same person?

Can anyone offer an explanation given what info I have posted

I seem to be going round and round in circles with this

Hi mlr

I think that Margaret Lawton had illigit children Ellen (1837)and Elizabeth (1841) who died. They lived with John Mcdonald and took his name in 1841. There is another child Elizabeth born 1847 but by this time they are using the name Lawton so she is christened with this name. Then Margaret dies and the children move on. John Lawton (1826) could be Margaret's brother. -- then again.......

dave