• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1841 request Peeblesshire SCT: George Dickson

Seeking the 1841 census for George Dickson, born 1806 in Tweedsmuir, Peeblesshire. I don't know what date the 1841 census was taken. If it was after 18 June, then his new bride Janet would be listed with him. Else he's perhaps a stray somewhere, considering the age of 35.

All the best,

Bruce Martin
Houston TX USA

Hi Bruce

The only entry I can find on the 1841 is for a George Dickson born c1816 in Peebleshire, Scotland. His address is Carlops Coal Houses and he is a coal miner. With him are Janet Dickson born c1826 and she is a coal Beaver, and Jean Dickson born c 1821 and she is a coal beaver as well. The 1841 Census for Scotland was taken on the night of 6 June 1841 so I don't think these are your lot, even allowing for mistranscriptions of age.

I looked in England 1841 and found a George Dickson born c1811 (could be 1806 allowing for the rounding down of age in 1841) in Scotland and he is District Fourhouse Barracks, Hampshire and a Soldier.

I'm sorry if this is not much use to you but that's all I can find.

Dee

Dee,

That's what I was afraid of. Rascal, that George. I can find him elsewhere in 1851+.

I appreciate your efforts, including the look at the English records.

Best regards,

Bruce