• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1841 - Scotland Marriage info.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
What level of information would be in a Church Register, for a Marriage that occured in 1841, as against statutory Marriage after 1855.

What sort of information would be given, regarding parents names in the 1841 Church register.

I'm not asking for the record, just a sense of what is on it, before I actualy get credits to view/download it.

07/05/1841. Maybole, Ayr.
JAMES STEWART to MARY CALDWELL.

Steve.:)

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have a marriage in the old Parish registers in 1844. It tells me the couple's names and his occupation in Glasgow the date is at the top of the page. I know they are residing in Glasgow and who married them.
About the same information as before 1837 except no witness signatures.

Hope this helps

Amanda

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have a marriage in the old Parish registers in 1844. It tells me the couple's names and his occupation in Glasgow the date is at the top of the page. I know they are residing in Glasgow and who married them.
About the same information as before 1837 except no witness signatures.

Hope this helps

Amanda
So no parents names. That's a shame.....my chap was born c1818, in Ireland. Nothing else to go on, so I guess that's where it ends, going backwards.

Thanks Amanda.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
So no parents names. That's a shame.....my chap was born c1818, in Ireland. Nothing else to go on, so I guess that's where it ends, going backwards.

Thanks Amanda.:)
His his first grandson Robert, was born 1866, so would that be his Fathers name, according to naming patterns.?

James Stewart 1818. Ireland.
Son, William Caldwell Stewart. 1841, Maybole.
Grandson, Robert Stewart. 1866. Dalry, Aryshire.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have the same problem with people coming from Ireland to Scotland. I have what I think is two brothers Edward and James. Edward's eldest son was William and James' eldest son was James, so still don't know what their father's name was. :rolleyes:

Amanda

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have the same problem with people coming from Ireland to Scotland. I have what I think is two brothers Edward and James. Edward's eldest son was William and James' eldest son was James, so still don't know what their father's name was. :rolleyes:

Amanda
From your experience, would it be really worth buying credits to get the marriage details.
I'm erring on the side of no.:rolleyes::2fun:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have several Steve and the details vary. Names and if it was by Banns or Proclamation. Sometimes age, sometimes occupation, sometimes residence, sometimes name of minister, but no parents.

I have a family who moved from Ireland to Scotland and they half followed the naming pattern. I don't think there is much confidence in father being Robert or William - 1st son father's father.

Dave

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
From your experience, would it be really worth buying credits to get the marriage details.
I'm erring on the side of no.:rolleyes::2fun:

That's my problem Steve I don't know where James was married, I believe he was born in Ireland but Catherine his wife was born in Scotland. I only know her father was born in Ireland because it says on her death record which took place in Cambridge Massachusetts.
I'm still looking for a death for James, he may have emigrated too, :confused:

Amanda

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Can I just say you can't be sure what the minister or clerk decided to write. The Edinburgh records pre 1855 have more information. In a marriage they often have the bride's father and his occupation so it is always worth looking at a marriage in the records just in case. I have not looked at many Ayrshire records but you just never know.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Can I just say you can't be sure what the minister or clerk decided to write. The Edinburgh records pre 1855 have more information. In a marriage they often have the bride's father and his occupation so it is always worth looking at a marriage in the records just in case. I have not looked at many Ayrshire records but you just never know.
I'll go for the death first, and if the information is not 100%, then the marriage details will be next. Hopefully, most questions will be answered. Fingers crossed.