• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1842 Marriage - Occupation and Witness

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
1842 Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of St. Marylebone in the County of Middlesex
No. 107 - 2nd May 1842
Robert Woodward - of full age - Bachelor - St. Marylebone - Wm. Woodward - Tailor
Margaret Elliott - of full age - Spinster - - as above - Thos. Elliott - printer or painter ??
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after Banns by me Edward Healy Thompson Curate
Parties signed:
Witnesses: Joseph Cyrer ?, Mary Woodward

Thanks,

Dave

Woodward.JPG

emeltee

Loyal Member
Occupation is Painter. Unfortunately I cannot make out the first letter of the surname and there is nothing to compare it to. I can't find a Joseph Cyrer in the 1841 Census.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Emeltee.

I can't find a match on the two pages with four marriages. It's not a match to other Cs on the page.

Dave

Cordwainer.JPG

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sorry Emeltree but looks more like printer to me. But can't prove it as yet as can't find him in 1841. Could the Joseph be Ayres? Several in London at that time.

Barbara

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Peter.

I don't know. The word 'Parish' appears 12 times on the image I have and that letter is not the same as all those Ps.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is a Joseph Piper in St Marylebone in 1841 but also several other Joseph Pipers in Middlesex in 1841.

There are four marriages on the image and some of the witnesses seem to have signed and several seem to be in the same hand as the bulk of the image.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi Dave,
If I enlarge the image using Photoshop the P is rather flamboyant
but the upper stroke is darker where it crosses the 'f' of after banns
on line above.
the second letter looks like an i with the dot in the middle of the P loop
middle letter has downstroke with something to the right so I assume it to
be a P forth and fifth letters are E and R
As you say there are lots of P's on the document but are they all by the witness!

peter

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Peter.

Piper seems the best fit.

Does seem odd to me that some 'signatures' seem to be in the hand of the minister/clerk - not just the one that was by mark.

Dave