• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1850 Birth Northumberland

I am trying to find the name of my great great grandmother . I have a census record of my great grandfather at 1 year old in 1851 so I have done a GRO search but cannot find a match for either him or his elder brother. Would all births have been recorded then . The surname is Robson in the Rothbury area which is a pretty common name in those parts .Many thanks

Sorry I am new to this site -. 269FC25C-0F52-4DF0-83C0-2DE1C9B1894A.jpeg i hope you can read this - it’s very faint. John Robson father 23 Rothbury Elizabeth 22 Elsdon John 3 Alwinton and William 1 Whittington .I have 1861 census information - living in Thropton with his brother and a retired school master as lodgers . There is no mention of mother and father , however I did manage to obtain a death certificate for his father date 4th August 1851 at Trewhitt Stead’s . The informant wasn’t his wife but an Ellen Storey and cause of death was unknown. All very puzzling. i cannot find a match for his brother in any later census records and no match for William either In 1871 census. He marries my great grandmother in July 1874 in Jarrow.
I hope this information helps . I have been trying without success for many years .

Bootzy

Loyal Member
father
John Robson 15 b Rothbury (1826) – John & Mary – died 1851 rothbury
Mum Elizabeth died Oct qtr 1868 age 39 Castle Ward

There is a John Robson (brother) b 1849 Rothbury as a servant to George Bonner a farmer of 112 acres in Rothbury for 1871 census but no William

There is a William Robson b 1850 a groomsman at Felton Park in 1871 – under Vicar of Felton and another who is a lodger (a shepherd) of Thomas Scott at Harraton

William Robson born D qtr Rothbury Vol 25 page 431 – Mother = Boe - cannot find birth for brother John with that surname for Mother - any idea what her surname was?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Who did William marry in 1874?

I looked for baptism records for an Elizabeth in St Cuthbert's Elsdon and found two but can't find a match for either.

Was Elizabeth a widow when she married John Robson?

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Alwinton and Whittington are both in Rothbury RD

ROBSON, JOHN - MIDDLEMAS
GRO Reference: 1847 J Quarter in ROTHBURY Volume 25 Page 415

ROBSON, JOHN - AMORY
GRO Reference: 1848 S Quarter in ROTHBURY Volume 25 Page 429

ROBSON, WILLIAM - BOE
GRO Reference: 1849 D Quarter in ROTHBURY Volume 25 Page 431

ROBSON, WILLIAM DODDS - DODDS
GRO Reference: 1851 M Quarter in ROTHBURY Volume 25 Page 438

No matches there and no match with surnames for marriages of a John Robson and no match for Elizabeth baptised at Elsdon.

If Elizabeth was a widow when she married John then I still can't find a match.

Bootzy

Loyal Member
1911 census for William is that he’s a widow and at his son John Stewart Robson’s home, age 61 & born Thropton Northumberland

He married July 1874 to Elizabeth Stewart (1850-1904)

So if his father died in Aug 1851, Mum could have remarried and few possibles on FreeBDM but getting the right area close to Thropton is my challenge not being familiar with area

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
a possible for Elizabeth Robson (Mum) on 1861 census for Morpeth
has line through Elizabeth Robson - no age – a Widow – Out as Sick Nurse left home between ?? then delivery of something something

Reg District Morpeth Sub = Morpeth – ED = 14, h/h = 44, Piece 3871, Folio 73 page 8

father

There is a John Robson (brother) b 1849 Rothbury as a servant to George Bonner a farmer of 112 acres in Rothbury for 1871 census but no William

There is a William Robson b 1850 a groomsman at Felton Park in 1871 – under Vicar of Felton and another who is a lodger (a shepherd) of Thomas Scott at Harraton

William Robson born D qtr Rothbury Vol 25 page 431 – Mother = Boe - cannot find birth for brother John with that surname for Mother - any idea what her surname was?
Hi Williams occupation is a collierybkacksmith
father

father

Hi thank you for your help. I think the info from the 1871 census sounds like it could be them. William went on to be a an industrial blacksmith so being a groom may have led him down that path . I have no idea of Elizabeths maiden name.j If she didn’t die until 1868 why were the boys living elsewhere in 1861 ? Where did you get the information about the Johns parents ?

has line through Elizabeth Robson - no age – a Widow – Out as Sick Nurse left home between ?? then delivery of something something

Reg District Morpeth Sub = Morpeth – ED = 14, h/h = 44, Piece 3871, Folio 73 page 8
Th
That

H

Hi just had a look at the 1861 census and it could be the mother. I don’t think she would have been a widow when she married John Robson as was probably too young.I think the 1871 info that you found sounds about right too, given that William became a blacksmith. So strange that we can’t find the birth records of both John & William with a Matching mother. Thank you for all your help, it’s much appreciated .At least I know that every avenue has been explored and that I wasn’t missing something.