• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1861 Census look up please

I am looking for Henry James White born 1852 in Exeter, Devon. I believe he would have been living in Devonshire at the time. He was known as Harry in his later years. His father was Henry John White, but was known as John. I'm not sure if he was born in the County or not.

I am looking for the household names at the time of the census.

Thanks in advance.
Barb

Robesur

I cannot see the birth of an Henry John White or just a Henry White in Exeter in 1852 or for several years either side. The only Henry White registered in Devon in 1852 was in the Axminster District and born in the parish of Colyton. He along with a sister Louisa are living with his widowed grandmother, Sarah Wood in both 1861 and 1871 in Colyton. This Henry was blind.

I don't believe this would be my Henry. The birthdate I have for him is Mar 25,1852. The date should be fairly correct. Possible a few years out, but not likely more than that. I haven't been able to find his birth registration, but the birthdate I have is from later census records and death certificate.
He wasn't blind. So I am doubtful this would be the same Henry.
He was a stonemason as an adult, so it's very likely his father was a stonemason. At least that's what I found in my other families where there was a trade.

He married in 1875 in Plymouth, Devon.

Thanks for taking the time to look.