• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1871, 1881 Martha J Blakeborough

duckweed

Loyal Member
I'm looking for Martha and her husband. Martha was born in Leeds 1838 and husband Joseph born 1837 Leeds. When last found they were in Scarborough. Also in Scarborough her sister Fanny Elisabeth King 1845 Leeds and her husband Joshua Seller King 1845 Liverpool and their Mother Fanny R Moss 1809 Torksey Lincolnshire widow. Martha died in Scarborough in 1885. Both husbands were ironmongers.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
This looks like her in 1871

Civil parish Holbeck
RD Holbeck
Sub RD Holbeck

Martha Carr head age 62 widow of ---- ------manufacturer and annuitant born Leeds
James C son age 26 annuitant born Leeds
Samuel son age 19 annuitanht born leeds
Samuel Blakeborough son in law occ auctioneer age 29 born Leeds
Martha J Blakeborough dau age 29 born Leeds
Eleanor M Blakeborough g/dau age 3 born Leeds
George Brown brother age 63 assist in household of annuitant born Leeds
Mary Woodcock servant

Looks as though the enumerator made a mistake with Josephs name as the census image has Samuel Blakeborough.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Joseph's mothers name was Esther. Father's name Henry. Brothers names Samuel 1841 Leeds, Henry 1839 Leeds, John 1844 Leeds, Arthur 1850 Leeds. The family originates from Pately Bridge and have been ironmongers for several generations. Marthas family connections besides Moss is Bullivant.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Theres this family in 1881

Civil parish Scarborough
RD Scarborough

Address 119 Waterloo?

Transcribed by A.......ty as Blackbord

Joseph head age 43 occ journeyman emp 3 men and 2 boys born Leeds
Martha J wife age 41 born Leeds
Mary J dau age 11 born Leeds
Alfred Padbury nephew age 18 occ ironmongers app born Selby
Alice Wilson servant

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've found them in 1871 in Scarborough She's under the name of Matha Blakeberough. Why that didn't come up before. Now I need to trace Mary J and Joseph in 1891 and 1901. I think Joseph died in Bradford in Sept 1901 but I haven't got a death certificate to prove that. No Mary J in the 1871 census. Perhaps she is a niece not a daughter.