• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1891 Census Index

Hello Everyone,

My first post so I'll try and keep this one simple.
Am I right in thinking that the 1891 Census for Yorkshire has now been indexed, and if so is it accurate?

Yorkie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Yorkie,

Theres aleady a 31 cd pack of the 1891 yorkshire census of acrobat files containing fiche images with street and area index. As to the accuracy is only as good as the info given and the literacy of the enumerator.

Julie

Sorry I should have made myself a little clearer, I have the 1891 census for Yorkshire on DVD, which I pre-ordered, my gggrandfather is proving to be very elusive and I thought an index might help if one has been done for Yorkshire.

Val

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Yorkie,

If you mean a name index S & N Genealogy have a cd rom 1891 Yorkshire census name index (on its own) see link below. As for accuracy theres always a margin for error. I use Ancestry for my look ups which do have errors. If you would like to post your gggrandfathers details on the forum will see if we can find him on the 1891 census.

http://www.genealogysupplies.com/

Julie

Thank you very much for your reply, here's what I have.

Walter Henry Collinson c19 May 1856 Aberford, Yorkshire, he married Eliza Blackburn in 1876 (found on FreeBMD) and I have found the family on the 1881 Census living in Kippax Yorkshire. The four children I know survived to adulthood are: Mary Elizabeth Collinson b1877 (my ggrandmother) shown as Mary Ann on the 1881 Census.
Sarah Jane Collinson b1880 Brotherton, Yorkshire
Cora Collinson b1882 Kippax, Yorkshire
Alice Collinson b1884 Kippax, Yorkshire
By 1891 the family have disappeared, I've found Cora Collinson on the 1891 Census living with the family of James Blackburn in Brotherton and shown as his niece.
Obviously the family has broken up, perhaps Eliza has died, but I have been unsuccessful in finding the others, where are they, a pointer in the right direction would be most helpful and appreciated.

Val

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found Cora (born abt 1883 Kippax) on the 1901 census living as a boarder with a family called Bennett at 13 Providence Street, civil parish Morley , occ rag sorter -----?

Julie

Hi

I found a Sarah Jane Collinson aged 9 born Kippax on the 1891. She is an orphan in the Charity school (orphanage for girls) in Ledsham, Yorkshire. I don't know if this is your Sarah Jane or not, but its something to think about.

Dee

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
1891 census

civil parish Broughton address Rob Yard

Class RG12
Piece 3756
Folio 124
Page 3

Eliza Collinson (transcribed as Collins Lee by Ancestry) widow age 31 occ garden labourer born Kippax (as transcribed by Ancestry, looked like Rippon to me)
Alice Collinson (transcribed by Ancestry as Lee) dau age 5 born Kippax
Eliza Collinson dau " " " age 13 born Kippax
Walter son age 4 " " "born Kippax

The surname had been corrected to Collinson and Collins Collinson for Eliza.

Julie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Could be yours looks like Eliza remaried. 1901 census civil parish Brotherton

George Blackburn age 32 head occ limestone burner born Brotherton
Walter Collinson age 14 boarder born Kippax
Elizabeth Steels age 39 boarder born Lumby Hill
Henry Steels age 32 boarder born Micklefield occ coal miner (hever/below ground)
Joseph Steels age 8 boarder born Brotherton

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
1901 census-civil parish Cawood registration district Selby

James Hall head age 28 born Cawood occ gen labourer
Mary Eliz wife age 23 born Kippax
Edlith dau age 4 born Cawood
Sydney son age 1 born Cawood
Cora dau age 1mth born Cawood
Alice Collinson visitor age 17 born Kippax occ general serv domestic

Julie

Firstly a big thank you to everyone for their time and effort. I hope its okay if I reply to all mesages in this one post.

Cora Collinson living with Bennett family ia a yes. She marrried a William Bennett in 1901 (found on BMD) and was the only surname my mother could remember. I'm assuming William Bennett is the son of whom she was boarding with.

Sarah Jane Collinson at Ledsham is a possibility, but if Cora is with a relation in 1891 why not Sarah Jane, she may be a niece to my Walter Henry.

Eliza Collinson in Brotherton does'nt feel right, daughter Eliza would have been on the 1881 Census with Walter Henry and Eliz, I'll check her out on the 1881 census.

Now the water becomes muddy, the reason I am desperate to find Walter Henry Collinson is that I have seen this information about Eliza marrying a Steel on a family website, I am conviced this is wrong, but open to correction. My grandmother Cora Hall (named after her aunt Cora Collinson) knew her grandfather albeit it as Henry and from Morley, my grandmother was born in 1901, just made it on to the 1901 census, which is how I know the family was originally from Kippax.

I hope you are all still with me, I know it can get confusing following other peoples relations.

I did ask my mother before she died if her mother ever talked about her grandmother and she said no only her grandfather. It is possible Walter and Eliza separated (no divorce then of course) or Eliza had died.

I have found on BMD (what would would do without it) the death of an Eliza Collinson Dec Qtr 1896 N. Brierley aged 36 the district is near enough to the others to be in contention, only why was Cora with the Blackburns in 1891.

I shall follow the leads you have given me, but I fear Walter Henry has escaped again.

Val

Oops I think we crossed in the post I did have a look on the 1901 census sometime ago and did find the entry you have just posted. At that time I was thrashing around a bit in the dark looking for Walter Henry, see post above, I was looking for Henry from Morley and without his wifes name. At some point I shall have to get credit card in hand again, now I have some more detail and won't waste my credits on the site so much. Thanks for your help.

Val