• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1901 Address Search Please

Hi
Is anyone able to lookup the names of people at the address of Ruettes Brayes, Guernsey, Channel Islands in the 1901 census. I think it might be a number of houses so hope I am not asking too much.
Regards, Robinetta

AthenaLou

it only lists 3 houses in that street that i can find

1 albert best marr head 41 butcher/farmer
blanche wife 39
ellen richards visitor wid 68
florence gosling or gosline serv single 22

2 edward domaille marr head 36 or 26 (line drawn thru age) fruit grower
ethel wife 26
melba daur 2
ethel m daur 5 months
mabel sweet serv 22

3 henry j forsey or farsey marr head 26 or 36 (line thru age) gardener
annie s wife 28
mabel a daur 8
valletta daur 6
george h son 4
albert son 2

Hi Ath
Thank you for the address details and if it is no trouble to you, the additional addresses would be really helpful. The reason I am looking at them is a bit complicated.:eek:
My Grandfather was born on Guernsey in 1903 to a single mum, Nellie Smith and he was given the name Walter Hugh Sebire. He never knew who his real father was (but could it have been Walter Hugh Sebire?).:rolleyes:
My Grandfather was adopted by Mr & Mrs E A Wade in 1905. I have a small note signed by Nellie Smith handing her son over to Mr & Mrs Wade.
On a copy of my Grandfather's (Walter Hugh Sebire) Birth Certificate it states Ruettes Brayes, St Martins as his place of birth. According to a copy of his Baptism sheet, his father's address was Ruettes Brayes, St Martins :rolleyes: (The Baptism form states the he was Baptized in a 'private' ceremony).
I just wondered if there were any clues in the details of who lived at Ruettes Brayes!!!! :rolleyes:
Bit complicated I know.
Kind regards,
Robinetta

AthenaLou

found this dont know if it will help but this lady doesnt appear to have a spouse even tho it says she is married but then her hubby could b a mariner and away on a boat but then i noticed it said 'own account' which from i have been told means she would probably have her own means of financial support managed to cover most of the census returns for guernsey but i started to go bug eyed after a while :eek: will check some more later when my eyes are not so :eek:

Havilland Vale

Ellen SMITH wife 35 (cant make out occupation could b dress maker it appears like this * is letters not readable d***maker) own account born guernsey st peter port
edwin '' '' son 6 born england
frederick '' '' son 2 born guernsey st peter port

AthenaLou

found this says this persons father was a contractor dont know if this helps by 1901 this walter would have been 21 so old enuf to b ur walter's father

1891 Channel Islands Census

Name: Walter Hugh Sebire
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William T
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
born: St Sampson, Guernsey, Channel Islands
Civil Parish: St Sampson
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
Town: St Sampson
County/Island: Guernsey
Street address: 75 Doyles Military Rd ( it loox like that anyway)
Registration district: Guernsey and Adjacent Islands
Sub registration district: D
ED, institution, or vessel: 2b
Household Members: Name Age
Lucy Rosa Mignot 31 visitor
Mary Anne Mignot 10 visitor
Peter T Mignot 28 clerk/clergy visitor
Earnest Sebire 17
Edith F Sebire 22
Elizabeth Sebire 54
Lily Sebire 12
Walter Hugh Sebire 11
William Sebire 9
William T Sebire 54

Hi Ath
I too found that particular Walter Hugh Sebire and also wondered if he could be the father ;) so I am thrilled you found it too. Even though this was an illegitimate birth, do you think Nellie Smith would really have given her baby the name of the real father?
And yes, you are right, he would have been around the same age as Nellie Smith when my Grandad was born. You have given me some additonal information too, thats great.
This is all so cloak and dagger!!!!!!! If only we could jump back into the past for a minute or two!! Sorry my search is sending you bug-eyed but I really do appreciate your time and help.
Before my Mother died, she actually visited Guernsey to see if she could find anything out about my Grandfather's birth (her Father) but she had no success :( so the progress we have made so far is really giving me a sense of achievement.
The Walter Hugh Sebire in the Royal Engineers survived the war but I can find no information about him after that.
I also need to find out what happened to Nellie Smith after 1905 when she gave her son (my Grandfather) up for adoption.
It means a lot so thanks for your help, :)
Kind regards,
Robinetta

AthenaLou

Hiya

no probs with that i suffer with a mild form of dyslexia so its quite common for me to bug eyed the words on the page eventually scramble into one and nothing makes sense so i have to go on to other stuff for a while then i can go back to it later

as for ur question do i think that she would name her child after its father even tho its ilegitimate well there r many options/answers for that i s'pose maybe she was trying to throw the scent off the real father or was she trying to do the opposite and let people know who his dad was maybe he came from a well-to-do family and she thought her child may suffer if the truth wasnt known did the sebire family have something to do with his adoption??? so ur question actually creates more questions than answers

apart from visiting guernsey itself is there anyway u can view electoral registers for other years other than census years???? i had to do that with a few of my relatives one in particular Robert Joseph Austin and his wife Mary Smallwood i have 2 addresses for them on marriage cert and birth cert but when i have checked census they werent actually at either address so i gotta make a trip to camberwell and start searching their electoral registers like i said i done it with other people in my tree and so far its come up trumps so im hoping it will with the Smallwood/Austin part of the family

as for Robert Austin's father is concerned, im stumped1 he was apparently from ireland and i was told today that a lot of the census, electoral reg's prior to 1920 were destroyed so not sure wot im gonna do just dont know where to go or wot to do from here with him tried checking some irish census the other night found it completely confusing and very lacking in info so for now thats a hmmmmmmmmmm factor

Ath :D

:cool: Hiya Ath

Great to hear about your own family search and full of admiration too. Unlike you, I did not consider looking at the Electral Rolls! :rolleyes: So thanks for pointing me in that direction. I must do a bit of research into that to find out more about it.

I appreciate your opinion over my Grandfather's name too. Strangely, the letter his mother, Nellie Smith signed to hand him over for adoption named him as Walter Hugh Smith and not Walter Hugh Sebire (the name she had given him at birth). Hmmmmmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help and good luck with your Smallwood/Austin search. I wish I could help you but I am still learning!!!!!!!! :D But I will get there. :cool:

Kind regards, :)
Robinetta

AthenaLou

Hi ya

no probs i will have a look at the census again and c if the child is listed as walter hugh smith im off to ramsgate in kent tomorrow to look at some houses, and im gonna try to find the church where some of my ancestros were baptised and married, i have looked it up on the net and its still there wot a bit of luck! many of the churches where other ancestors were baptised and married have long since gone one in west ham still remains but its now a community centre.......so i will have to take a trip to the essex records centre for that :rolleyes: its probably a shot in the dark but im gonna try and c if i can view any registers at canterbury tomorrow they probably wont let me but at least if i can get to speak to the vicar he may b able to point me in the right direction its difficult for me to make appointments and that during the week to do family research as im a full time carer i have 2 disabled boys that require a huge amount of my time but thats y i like me genealogy coz i can switch off for a while :)

anyway i will check that name for u on that census c wot i can find and let u know

LJ