• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1909-1929

somerstown

Valued Member
I have found one of my uncles was born in 1909 and his birth was not registered until 1929. I have managed to contact his daughter who tells me (I have the certificate) that fact is correct. Apparently my grandmother forgot to register him!
No wonder we sometimes have problems finding births!

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi somerstown,

It does happen .... and more than some people think!

I know of a number of births and deaths not registered! Many census's (particularly the early ones) the census numerator wrote the names down by what they thought they heard - for example "halum" instead of Hallam.

Even now days, we know of Births (and Deaths) that have been registered and written down incorrectly by the clerk.

When ever humans are in the link, there will be failures... all we can do is keep looking!:)

All the best,
Dave

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Before 1875 it was the duty of the registrar and is deputies to tour the district making notes of new births and deaths. They often heard from word of mouth or something.

If two people were born in the same village of the same name, ie cousins, then occasionally the registrar may have thought there was just one birth and he may have forgot to register the other birth of the same name in the village.