• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1911 census where are the husbands?

Hawkesbee

I have found two families in the 1911 census which have given me some wonderful new leads, however, both husbands are not on the forms. The wifes, one being my Great Grandmother and the other a Great aunt both show as being married. I know the husband's names and wondering if anyone else has come across this. In the case of my greatgrand mother the whole family is showing on all other census.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tracey

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi there Tracey
Have you occupations for the missing hubbies from 1901 census?
e.g Mariner, Sailor, Journeyman etc etc.
Perhaps they were working away from home?
You may have to do another search for them in 1911 putting in their birth year & place.
Just a few suggestions.
All the best
oznannie

Hi
There are many reasons why a person is missing from a census. Only the persons actually residing at a premises at midnight on the night of the census should be put down. Children were often staying with grandparents, so appeared in their household. Many husbands were at war or in prison, at sea or a live in servant, away looking for work etc etc. However if not at home should have been recorded somewhere, but not always easy to find

dave