• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1911 census

watkinwitch

Hi can anyone tell me when we can access the 1911 census, not through find my past - who will only let you do it on pay to view rather than through subscription. Does anyone else think it is not fair that only one site has it?

Lincoln Lad

At present Findmypast are the only site to have the 1911, having bought the rights to it, they have to pay for the transcriptions etc. They will remain the only site to hold it until I believe, at least one year after the final transcription is completed. Images then have to be made available to other sites who then have to transcribe them.

Considering the costs involved, I think it is fair at the moment that they are the only holders. I believe that before long they will allow access via subscription under a different subscription to the normal one which will be more expensive.

watkinwitch

Hi Lincoln Lad, thank you for the information. I did not realise they had brought the rights, well I will just have to wait until they allow access through subscription as my budget is small!!!