• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1911 census

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Has any one been on the test site for the 1911 census. Found some of my relies. London, Staffordshire, Middx and another county (think these are the right counties) are on there, works out quite dear though.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Edited

I'm gonna leave it alone for a while spending to many credits, already spent over £30.00.[/QUOTE]

Hi julie, i found it, and yes I will save my money and lose my sanity.:)

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

We still do not know exactly when next year the selected areas of the 1911 census will be released. I hope that it is early next year.

Ben
Hi All,
I understand the need for the 1911 census, and that is precisely why sites like this are so invaluable.
There are a lot of people doing precisely the same as us, who do not have a vast budget, or a budget at all.
Anyone can come here and potentially get most, if not all they need. All those involved in this site should be proud of all the help they have given to others who do not have the finance or the skills to achieve their aims.
I am a member of ancestry, and they still want more money from me to view 1911.
So I for one applaud you all.

Thanks, Steve.

Oh I cant wait for the 1911 Census, but wonder really how much information it will actually hold and offer me in regard of my relations?

So when is it actually fully published? I assume 1911 but any idea on a month? :confused:

Oh I cant wait for the 1911 Census, but wonder really how much information it will actually hold and offer me in regard of my relations?

So when is it actually fully published? I assume 1911 but any idea on a month? :confused:
But reading there december updates:

December update
15/12/2008

During scanning in the month of November we discovered:

A mother of five children whose occupation is listed as 'slave to family'

An opinionated household head, evidently affronted by the invasive nature of the census, who writes:

'Put some charge on goods coming from abroad... Could you not find something better to do than ask about children that have been dead over 56 years?'

A household return completed by the enumerator with a supplementary note explaining the sole occupant was:

'Found dead in chair in house. Monday 3rd April '11'.
Sounds like it could be fun......:D
I also noticed its launch is 2009 - how exciting....;)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

On FMP they have the Beta version of the 1911 census and have found some of my rellies already including my London, Suffolk and Oxfordshire ancestors. I am now awaiting Durham and Essex. I will no doubt be bankrupt soon buying credits.

Ben

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
See they have 27 counties now, but no Essex which I'm waiting for as well, awaiting for Wales but these I believe are being added last as some of them are in Welsh and had to be translated.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I just found my great gran living in Sussex in 1911. She was from Oxford originally and she later ended up in Essex where she wed in 1917 but she moved from Oxford down to Sussex to find work as a servant in Bexhill before going up to Essex. I am well pleased to have yet another ancestor who was living far away from their birthplace in a census.

It can be boring when all your ancestors all lived and died in the same places to where they were born, and where their parents and grandparents came from.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

That is why I have downloaded all that I can for this beta test. I dont mind waiting a few more months for Durham and Essex to come up on the full version.

Its also amazing how neat our ancestors handwriting was. They must have made the effort for the census.

Ben

I saw more counties were added but unfortunately none for my areas... :'( :'(
(Yorkshire)
So are the 1911 census written by the households and not the goverment personnell taking the census? :confused:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Mark

Yes, the handwriting was done by the individuals and not the enumerators.

At least with the Beta version I managed to find an ancestor in Sussex in 1911, and the others where I suspected them to be which was London, Suffolk and Oxford.

Ben

I'm just a little confused :D :D I am sure I read the 1911 census was being launched early this year but have read on the website

Infirmity (eg. deaf, dumb, blind, lunatic, imbecile etc.) Note: this information will not be available to view until the census is officially opened in January 2012. At the request of the Information Commissioner these details have been obscured in the images that are made available prior to that date.
I know some products especialy in the hospitality trade have a soft opening and then an official opening/launch some months later or in the case above years if it is launched this year.

If 2009 will see the launch will it be complete listings of all counties or will it be very much what we saw at the trial version and only certain counties listed? Or have I read it wrong and there will be no 2009 launch?:D :(

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
AS far as I know the launch will be in 2009, though not sure if all counties will be at once, the sensitive info will be blanked out but will be included in 2012.