• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1911 census

Ellie

Loyal Member
Has anyone had a look at the 1911 census?, I found it really helpful as its knocked down a few potential brick walls. The only think is you have to check and double check you've got the right person first as the credits are quite expensive.

pejay

Valued Member
Yes I thought it was helpful too, I am now waiting for Northumberland to be added, yes very expensive, I and everyone has probably used more credits than we really wanted to, 30 credits is a lot to view an image especially if it ends up the wrong person. - I have had that 3 times :eek: [what a waste], but I will use it still as much as I need to.:)

Ellie

Loyal Member
I know it's great when the information is correct. I do think that the cost (30 credits) for one original record is a bit expensive, they could lower the cost because loads of people are using it.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I know it's great when the information is correct. I do think that the cost (30 credits) for one original record is a bit expensive, they could lower the cost because loads of people are using it.

I think thats a bit of wishful thinking Ellie. But we can but hope.
This is a cash cow for someone.
Newbies beware, big wallet needed.

Steve.:)

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
I would not be surprised to hear that they have not yet covered their costs.
That is why I assume it is not yet included in the subscription options.

In a few months when all the counties are transcribed and all the enumerator's books scanned I am sure things will change.
Cheers
Guy

JMR

Valued Member
Hi Ellie,

I agree the 1911 census is fantastic.:D I have spent twice as much money on it as I had promised myself I would, but my family and I have had so much joy from what we have found out it's been worth it. My parents are both 83 and I haven't wanted to wait to find out pieces of information that mean so much to them, until it's free. I agree with Guy the cost of transcribing would have been huge. :eek:

I haven't wasted much money as I have checked and double checked my listings. Just recently though I did waste credits on 3 wrong entries as I was tryig to find my Dad's Grand Aunt. :eek: I didn't realise quickly enough you could just search under Christan name, but her surname Nutter was mis-transcribed as Hutter by someone unfamiliar with script writing.:mad: It's a bit misleading putting a red asterisk against both first and surname boxes even though the fine print does say "one of these must be filled in", so just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has the "when in doubt read the instructions" approach to life that I do!!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Jill

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ellie,

I agree the 1911 census is fantastic.:D I have spent twice as much money on it as I had promised myself I would, but my family and I have had so much joy from what we have found out it's been worth it. My parents are both 83 and I haven't wanted to wait to find out pieces of information that mean so much to them, until it's free. I agree with Guy the cost of transcribing would have been huge. :eek:

I haven't wasted much money as I have checked and double checked my listings. Just recently though I did waste credits on 3 wrong entries as I was tryig to find my Dad's Grand Aunt. :eek: I didn't realise quickly enough you could just search under Christan name, but her surname Nutter was mis-transcribed as Hutter by someone unfamiliar with script writing.:mad: It's a bit misleading putting a red asterisk against both first and surname boxes even though the fine print does say "one of these must be filled in", so just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has the "when in doubt read the instructions" approach to life that I do!!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Jill

Sum thins neber chaynge, do thay Jil. You haf to find iit furst, and then spend yor munney and howp it's th rite won.:)

Steeve.:)