• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1914 Mobilisation 4th Batalion Middlesex Regiment

Hi Guys.

I've established my Grandfather, George William Graham was in the reserves in 1914, and working as a Male Nurse.

His sevice number was 9650, Middlesex Regiment, and he joined up when he was 19, in 1904/5, as a regular, but I don't know long he served as a full timer, until he was put on reserves.

Does anyone know where and when the 4th Batalion, Middlesex Regiment, was mobilised, and were did they embark from in the UK to France?

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Found him in India in 1911 census.

Person: GRAHAM, George William
Institution: 1st Bn Middlesex Regt, 1ST BATTALION MIDDLESEX REGIMENT, DINAPORE CANTONMENT, INDIA
Military details: Private 1st Middlesex Regt

GRAHAM, George William Single ? 25 1886 Brixton London
RG number: RG14
Piece: 34988
Reference: RG14PN34988 RD641 SD13 ED19 SN9999
Registration District:
Sub District:
Enumeration District: 19
Parish:
Address: Dinapool Cantonment
County: Overseas military

Peter

Hello ptjw7.

That is stunning! :eek: Totally new to me, and I guess if he declared on his marriage certificate, in 1913, he was a male nurse, so, I guess a millitary nurse?

So, is there any history about what they were doing in India, and was he entitled to any service medals?

This has opened up a whole new aspect of his life.

Thank you very much. :)

You've got me thinking.

I have somewhere what I can only describe as a card certificate [letter sized] with the Middlesex Regiment coat of arms centre, and battle honours around it, with grandad's name on it, signed by his CO.

I'll have to look for it again.