• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

    Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

    Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

    Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

    Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

1939 Register


Valued Member
North of Watford Gap
In discussion with a cousin of mine who has done more on our mutual tree, she has come across something which is baffling. On the 1939 Register there is the following:- Frank Roland Locke (grandfather), Emma Maria Stafford then Locke (grandmother) and Evelyn Mavis Locke BUT there are three names obliterated totally. These would have been Joan, Esmee and Kenneth who should have also been listed. Apparently it is said the family have done the alteration? As we are the only two people that have been actively involved in this tree to our knowledge we are wondering how any one can just delete such records without checking with the family? I find it incredible that someone can even do this to official documentation. Neither my cousin and I have been approached concerning this side of the family tree. My apologies for probably asking a such a question.


Loyal Member
Staff member
In Ireland, but born Bucks.
They are officially closed, not deleted, from what I can see. Now whether a family member can demand them closed, I wouldn't know.
You can get them opened if they are deceased, as far I am aware.
Individuals’ records remain closed for 100 years from their date of birth or until proof of death.

9.3 How to close an open record of a living individual
If you see a record that is open, but which you believe should be closed because the person is still alive, you can ask for the record to be closed using the ‘close an open record’ button on the respective transcription page on Findmypast. If you do not have access to Findmypast, you can make a request direct to The National Archives using our Your views form.


Similar threads