• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

2 identity discs

gibbo

From
Australia
Hubbys great uncle died in France in WW1. I have been reading his army records and after he died mum was trying to get his personal belongings back. All the correspondence between her and the army was in his army records so i was able to read them all. There were so many letters she wrote trying to retrieve his belongings. She was not going to give up! Great uncle died in 1917 and the last letter his mum wrote to the army was in 1923 and the reply she got back was stating they still could not find his belongings and not likely to. All she recieved were his 2 identity discs.
She kept her composure in those letters but you could almost feel her crying while she wrote them.

gibbo

Hi Gibbo,
Anyone who tries for that length of time, tells me that her love ran so deep. I bet her heart was broken, god bless her.

All my Granny got back from her son Charlies things, was his bible. And as he died WW2 on the Burma railway in 1943, it still amazes me how it found it's way back home.
It was also his fathers bible in WW1. But he came back. And thats another miracle.
I still well up, even though I never knew them.:)

Steve.:)

Hi Gibbo,
Anyone who tries for that length of time, tells me that her love ran so deep. I bet her heart was broken, god bless her.

All my Granny got back from her son Charlies things, was his bible. And as he died WW2 on the Burma railway in 1943, it still amazes me how it found it's way back home.
It was also his fathers bible in WW1. But he came back. And thats another miracle.
I still well up, even though I never knew them.:)

Hey Steve
Sad the stories that come out and so many people affected. I do think the mother was heartbroken and it was almost like if she had his belongings she would have him.
The one who died is the brother to the 2 i tried finding at the cemetery the other day.
The Bible.... what a treasure and how did it ever get back! It was obviously meant to have stayed with your family.

gibbo

Hey Steve
Sad the stories that come out and so many people affected. I do think the mother was heartbroken and it was almost like if she had his belongings she would have him.
The one who died is the brother to the 2 i tried finding at the cemetery the other day.
The Bible.... what a treasure and how did it ever get back! It was obviously meant to have stayed with your family.

gibbo

I have no idea how it got back, but his brother John kept it the rest of his life as it has his name and date in it also.
I don't think they were that religious, but it's a comfort for them obviously.

Uncle John was commited to an asylum and died there, and this is a tragic story of love, betrayal and wrongful commitment.
I would like to tell the story, but not sure if it would be suitable on here, even though it is not horrendous, just a whole story of injustice.

Back