• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

2011 UK Census

pramclub

Website
easter.byethost22.com
Was reading an article about the approaching census:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...hed-to-raise-awareness-of-census-2220867.html

I wasn't aware that it was being run by US arms manufacturer Lockheed, and some of the comments have left me thinking.

For example:
Reminder - the US Patriot Act compels personal data held by any company on systems in the US to be made available to government intelligence, and requires this to be done without informing the people involved.
Why should I cooperate cheerfully with the census, when I have to buy back the results of my ancestors' ones by inertia-subscription to a company run by strange religionists? Or haven't we even noticed?
As a genealogist I consider completing the census important for future genealogists, but some of these points make me want to stuff it straight in the recycle bin!

What do others think about this?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I shall give my age wrong and use my middle name and give a very un apt description for my occupation for any descendants. :D:D Our ancestors did it to us a lot so now it is payback time. :D:D:D

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have filled 4 census returns during my 'mature' years, or as 'Head of household', one of these being in Ireland.

I do believe you are required by law to return these.

I only put the information which I thought relevant to the 'powers that be', and in my own case that was pretty scant.

The census is not a 'product' for genealogists, but a 'tool' for them to use, when and if the time arises to use it, and when it becomes available.

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I just saw a news article on the 2011 census where you have to by law fill out the form. Some people reckon it is a waste of money and time costing half a billion quid.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I just saw a news article on the 2011 census where you have to by law fill out the form. Some people reckon it is a waste of money and time costing half a billion quid.
Worth every penny Ben.;)

At least it gives any given government the means to plan ahead with relevant needs of the population. With most Government 'schemes', 10 years is cutting it fine.

If they built 10 more schools, for arguments sake, at the cost of £15 billion plus the cost of running these schools. But then they were found not to be required because there were not enough children to justify these new schools.
That would be money wasted.

Same applies to all such needs, e.g. Hospitals, Police, Roads etc etc.

There will always be arguments for and against the census, and the right to privacy etc. But I'm one of those who thinks it's a good idea.

Steve.:)

pramclub

Website
easter.byethost22.com
I'm in favour of a census which allows the government to plan for schools and so on - but I often wonder if they actually look at the data for this purpose. Can't help thinking that by the time they've searched the trains for the thumb drive with the data, copied it to the main database, found a civil servant who can interpret it, copied and distributed the reports, that the children listed will be parents, the middle-aged will have had their telegram from the queen, and deceased genealogists will be meeting their ancestors to ask "Great-great-great granddad, was your wife called Molly or Maria?"
:biggrin: