• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

2nd lieut J.A.Macdonald

Hi i am trying to find out about my great granddad, he was a 2nd lieutenant in the royal engineers in the first world war. All i have is two medals from the first world war with his rank and name on the edge but no number, He was 2nd lieuenant J.A.Macdonald born in chorlton lancs in May 1881, i have what i think are his discharge papers dated the 5th march 1917. where do i look next as i am new to this game.

cheers ian

Wheezyanna

Hi,

Have you made contact with the Royal Engineers Museum Based in the former home of the Royal Engineers in Kent. They may have infomation, their contact details are :-

Postal addess

The Royal Engineers Museum
Prince Arthur Road
Gillingham
Kent
ME4 4UG
United Kingdom
Telephone numbers:

General Information: +44 (0)1634 822839
Museum Office: +44 (0)1634 822312
Curatorial Office: +44 (0)1634 822261
Curatorial Office and Library: +44 (0)1634 822221

Fax: +44 (0)1634 822006

Is just a thought

Happy Hunting

Claire

gortonboy

Loyal Member
hi,,his medal card is available

he was awarded the british and victory medal
his theatre of war entry was France 1917...which is why he was not awarded the Star medal.
he also recieved the silver war badge,,,so he must have been injured at some stage,,probably why he was discharged in 1917,,,he would have worn the SWB so that people knew he had been injured during service,and was therefore not a conciencious objector,,, it stopped people throwing white feathers at him :}
there was also an address 13,moss bank road,crumpsall.

hi,,his medal card is available

he was awarded the british and victory medal
his theatre of war entry was France 1917...which is why he was not awarded the Star medal.
he also recieved the silver war badge,,,so he must have been injured at some stage,,probably why he was discharged in 1917,,,he would have worn the SWB so that people knew he had been injured during service,and was therefore not a conciencious objector,,, it stopped people throwing white feathers at him :}
there was also an address 13,moss bank road,crumpsall.
Thanks this is great, just rung me dad and told him he is made up. How would i get a copy of his medal card.
cheers ian

Last edited:

Braveheart

Hello Ian
You are looking for a Army number for 2nd Lieut J.A.Macdonald ,you will not find one !!, unless they came through the lower Ranks. It was only non-commission officer's and lower ranks that got Army Numbers.
I hope this helps you
Braveheart

Hello Ian
You are looking for a Army number for 2nd Lieut J.A.Macdonald ,you will not find one !!, unless they came through the lower Ranks. It was only non-commission officer's and lower ranks that got Army Numbers.
I hope this helps you
Braveheart
Thanks, going to drop a line to the royal engineers in kent to see if they have anymore info.

ian