• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

3 brothers

ive got three brothers:
william george webb b.1888 in cowpen blythe northumberland
samuel webb b.1893 same place
noah webb/wright b.1879/80 castleford yorkshire.
i have got william and samuels ww1 records they where both living in west hartlepool with their familys, but i cannot find a record for noah webb/wright. he kept his surname of webb until about 1901 and then appears to have changed it to wright. in 1907 he is living in hartlepool but by 1911 he is living in seaham harbour reg district is listed as dawdon, easington. his occupation is listed as cartman. easington and dawdon were both pit villages. Would the fact that he was a miner mean he was excluded from active service as i know that was the case in ww2. just cannot find him after 1911 and seems strange that give his age he would not have been drafted along with his brothers. That is of course if a cartman was someone who worked in the mines. any help would be appreciated, sue

Hi Sue
In WW1 initially there were enough volunteers who joined up mainly to receive a steady payslip. All men aged 18 to 41 were elligable but it was not till 1916 that it was needed to actually call any up. There was a list of reserved occupations, but this altered depending on what was needed at the time, Coal mining was a reserved occupation, but even so men in these occupations were still allowed to enlist. This meant that there was a shortage of skilled men in some of these jobs, so by WW2 these men were prohibited from enlisting

hope this helps

dave

thanks dave i thought that was the case but just seems funny that all his brothers ww1 records are there and there is nothing for noah. cannot see 2 of them enlisting and not the other and he was definatly alive ,haha you found him for me in easington listed as thomas wright if you remember , this noah loves a name change. suex

dochines

Valued Member
Hi Sue,

Remember the WW1 records are not complete, particularly the burnt records so it may be Noah's records just did not survive. Did the other two brothers serve in the same regiment ? It just could indicate if they did ,that all three were in the same unit and then it could be worth approaching the regimental records to try and trace him that way

dochines