• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

5949 Gnr. Thomas Parkinson, Royal Horse Artillery "A" Brigade,

Website
www.gowerseafishing.co.uk
I'm currently trying to trace my great grandfather, Thomas Parkinson, but am having some difficulty in finding any information apart from the following details that I have from my grandfather's birth certificate;
The certificate I have shows it is from an entry in the Army Register Book of Births, Baptisms and Marriages.
Royal Horse Artillery "A" Brigade
"Recorded as a child (my grandfather) of the marriage of....5949 Gnr. Thomas Parkinson, Bachelor and Catherine Elliott, Spinster".
Place and date of birth is shown as Southern Coy, Exeter. This birth was in 1887.

I have absolutely no idea how old Thomas was at this time but it is possible (perhaps unlikely) that Catherine was 13 :eek: at the time of this birth (I've come to this rather frightening conclusion from Census transcripts for Catherine found in the 1891 & 1881 Census). With no idea of Thomas Parkinsons age or his parents where can I turn or what can I do? Can any kind person help and advise please?

Website
Hello Julie,

I only have those details for Catherine Elliot, nothing for Thomas Parkinson. For Catherine they are;

1881 Census - RG No: RG11, Piece: 795 Folio: 36 Page: 18

1891 Cenus - RG No: RG12, Piece: 4199 Folio: 88 Page: 1

You'll see from the 1891 Census that my Grandfather Archibald Elliot Parkinson was living with Archibald Elliot which, in conjunction with 1881, makes me think that I've the correct Catherine (if that makes sense).

P.S. If I don't respond straight away it's 'cause we've gone out for a family Xmas meal. :)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi David,

Found this Elliot family in 1871 father Archibald Mother Catherine, though places of birth differ a bit. Dau Catherine born abt 1871, unless this Catherine died and they named another dau Catherine.

RG10
Piece 128
Folio 80
Page 18

Website
Hello Julie,

Many thanks for the reply. It's certainly another lead to follow up (and at 16 when my grandfather was born a little more socially acceptable). If it will lead to more information about Thomas Parkinson it'll be a great help. So far Thomas is a totally impenetrable brick wall :(

Website
Hello GortonBoy,
I'd be very interested to see what information you have. I had better say here now though that since my original post in 2008 I have obtained Thomas' military service records which did give me a lot of information.
Still I'd be interested in anything you have as I'm trying to find some details about his father (also called Thomas) and his second wife Ellen (Cathering died in 1891).
David