• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

5949 Gnr. Thomas Parkinson, Royal Horse Artillery "A" Brigade,

I'm currently trying to trace my great grandfather, Thomas Parkinson, but am having some difficulty in finding any information apart from the following details that I have from my grandfather's birth certificate;
The certificate I have shows it is from an entry in the Army Register Book of Births, Baptisms and Marriages.
Royal Horse Artillery "A" Brigade
"Recorded as a child (my grandfather) of the marriage of....5949 Gnr. Thomas Parkinson, Bachelor and Catherine Elliott, Spinster".
Place and date of birth is shown as Southern Coy, Exeter. This birth was in 1887.

I have absolutely no idea how old Thomas was at this time but it is possible (perhaps unlikely) that Catherine was 13 :eek: at the time of this birth (I've come to this rather frightening conclusion from Census transcripts for Catherine found in the 1891 & 1881 Census). With no idea of Thomas Parkinsons age or his parents where can I turn or what can I do? Can any kind person help and advise please?