• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

    Please read the following:

    Read the current rules of the forum

    Thank you

    If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

A good way of Tracing Servants/Move of Address


Loyal Member
Staff member

Some of you may know the names of the employer that your ancestor worked for. Even though it may be hard to find any personal family papers of their employees, it may be a good idea to check newspaper advertisements for around the time you think your ancestor went into service. There may be an ad in the paper from the employers of your ancestors advertising a servant/maid kitchen cook etc. If so, this is probably when your relative applied for a job.

Some may have got the servants job through a friend/relative and not advertised but my tip is worth a go. The same applies for when your ancestor ran a business. See if there are any ads at the time in papers for the premises being advertised. This could be when your ancestors applied to take over the running.

If you also have a rough idea of when an ancestor moved address, providing it was not a 1 room tenement or something, also have a look to see if the premises is being advertised. I have found a reference to this before. If it was a 3 room apartment or a terraced house or bigger property then there is a good chance that they were advertised in papers when it became vacant. Even a 1 room tenement may have been advertised.

Many newspoapers are not yet online but I would advise this if you would like to build up a bigger picture of your ancestor lives, employment or move between addresses.


Similar threads