• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

A knotty problem

Here is a problem that I have been trying to solve for many a long year. I inherited a rather battered silver sovereign holder that my mum was very protective of. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea of its history and wonder if anyone out there could help please?
The lettering on the top of the holder seems to read as follows :-
W.R. Century, 1805(?) then what looks like either an L or a figure 2 followed by the number 5. I M Haywood then on the bottom line the figure 100
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
:)

is there no hallmark or any kind of makers mark. that would make it easy to trace, as it would identify the maker, the date and the place it was made. try your local museum or upload a foto of the marks on here you never know what might turn up . its a bit difficult to establish anything without seeing it really. suex

There is a hallmark but I don't think that I could photograph it, wouldn't come out as it is so faded, but thanks for the help, it is one thing that I have not done. Will try the local jewellers to see if they can get anything as to date from it.
thanks for the help
Lynda

Hy Lynda
Would it be a date ie year 1805, then month and date followed by the name, celebrating 100 years, or perhaps 100 runs or century scored. I've no ideas for W.R apart from West Riding (Yorkshire)

dave