• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

A little help with finding a maiden name...

ral91

Valued Member
Hi,

Could anyone give me some tips on how to find a maiden name of someone born in 1803 and died in 1844, so only included in one census.

So far I have found a marriage certificate but that's all I can find.

Thanks for any help.

Ryan

Robesur

I don't quite understand your request, if you have found a marriage certificate then your question is answered, the maiden name is on it. If the marriage took place before 1837 then there will not be a certificate, it would be a matter of looking in nearby parish records, starting with the place they were living in in 1841 and working outwards.
If there were any children born to the couple after 1837 then the purchase of any birth certificate will also give the mother's maiden name.
It is possible that a marriage prior to 1837 has been extracted onto the IGI, so always have a look and hope. Alternatively it could be recorded in Boyds Marriage Index, if you post the details you have, names, places as well as dates, someone may be able to assist you.

ral91

Valued Member
Hi,

Yeah, sorry, got a bit mixed up; it's not so much a certificate as an entry into the parish records. I was using the Ancestry site and it was just an entry with no maiden name.

Thanks for your reply.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Several suggestions. You need the whole parish record not just extract which will give her maiden name. Failing that if she had children after 1837 try getting a birth certificate for the child as it usually states mothers maiden name. Look at the whole family in census records as you may find them with an uncle or grandparent that would give you clue to her maiden name.