• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

A mind picture of our ancestors lives.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Quite often I like to build up a vivid picture of my ancestors in my head, especially in their final years and especially for ones who lived a long time.

My 5xgreat grandmother finished her life on 1st January 1858, East Street, Shoreditch, London. In the 1851 census she was living just round the corner at John Street. So inbetween the 1851 census and her 1858 death, she was either at John or East Street, meaning I have quite a clear picture of her final years.

She would have had her 70th birthday in July 1854. I can imagine her in her two or three room tenement as an elderly cotton winder living with her younger sister Susannah, working at her loom in the bedroom or living room surrounded by a fireplace, concrete floor, table, chairs and two arnchairs. Picking a date at randon, August 1856, 72 year old Elizabeth was probably at East Street by then, dying 1 year and 5 months later aged 73.

That is an example of how I use my imagination based on facts to build a picture in my head of how an ancestor spent their final years.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Yes, she was born to a family of weavers in 1784. Her father came from Norfolk and her mum was from Spitalfields, London of French Huguenot descent. She is quite interesting.

Ben

Lynne Ryan

Hi ALL,yes i do exact same thing when gathering data and info on many family members,,and you get very vivid head pictures also gathering old family photos,i have some very faded early early photos and i study them for hours looking and background ,landscape ,etc and then when you obtain facts etc on each you do see them as they were..i find this ever so interesting...
does anyone have any ideas how one may be able to preseve this pictures..everyone i ask seems to not have a clue..do you know if one laminated them would it stop them from fading further..cheers Lynne:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi ALL,yes i do exact same thing when gathering data and info on many family members,,and you get very vivid head pictures also gathering old family photos,i have some very faded early early photos and i study them for hours looking and background ,landscape ,etc and then when you obtain facts etc on each you do see them as they were..i find this ever so interesting...
does anyone have any ideas how one may be able to preseve this pictures..everyone i ask seems to not have a clue..do you know if one laminated them would it stop them from fading further..cheers Lynne:)

Scan them into your pc. and onto disc. DO NOT laminate them. Keep them in paper bags/boxes. Keep them in a dry, dark and not too warm place. Do not repair with cellotape. AVOID plastic bags. Avoid biscuit tins, they can rust. If you have loads, keep them in an old suitcase, wooden box, not plastic or pvc coated containers.
Do not keep them in the roof/loft space.

If you want one on show, scan and print it.:) :)

Steve.:)

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've got really into studying my husbands family. Fortunately they are mainly in Leeds and Sheffield. Both cities have great photo archives online. I always try to get an old photo of the street they lived in. If I can't get an old one I look up estate agents pages to see if they have pictures of the relevant streets. I also do research into the jobs they did and the kind of pay they would get. Now I'm researching living conditions politics weather etc so now I can see why they moved why so many children died in particular years, why they changed jobs. I'm becoming an expert in Victorian history.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
FHUK member 'Bomber', took some pictures of the street where my grandfather was born. Unfortunately the right hand side of the road (grandads side) was demolished in the 60's and flats built.
But the left hand side remains intact.
He also emailed me some historical pictures of the houses, and I'm not surprised they were demolished.

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

From 1882 to 1889 my ancestors lived in Evelyn Buildings, Holborn, London. They lived at No 18, 22 and 25 during the 7 years there. Both my 3xgreat grandfather and his wife ended their lives there in 1886 and Thomas only 6 weeks in hospital before dying but he lived at Evelyn Buildings up until then.

I have researched the building thoroughly and it is still there today after 129 years having lived through two world wars and constant demolition and redevelopment of London buildings. No 18 Evelyn Buildings had 2 rooms whereas No 22 and 25 had 1 room.

Ben

Lynne Ryan

Re:preserving old photos

Dear Steve,
thank you for the info in preseving my old photos,
i have starting scanning my photos..i got given some acid free tissue paper yesterday so i will go buy some acid free brown evelopes large if i can,and sety about making a full record,i also have old certs as well so have a lot of work to do now ..much appreciated your advice..cheers Lynne...:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The street in London where my great, great grandfather was born is still there and the original buildings are there, apart from 5 of them which were bombed during WW2 and unfortunately for me the house where my ancestor was born was one of them. It is Colville Place, St Pancras, London and is only a stones thrown fron Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road.

Ben