• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

A Seminary in Hayes, Middlesex in 1851 ?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

I've been trying to find a seminary in Hayes, Middlesex around 1851. Seems Catherine was unmarried and ended up in Edinburgh where Ellen was born. Catherine then called herself 'widowed' and entered a seminary ??

1851 U.K Census
Civil Parish: Hayes
County: Middlesex
Address: Uxbridge Road
PERDRIAN Catherine head widow 1806 age 45 Annuitant Portsea, Hampshire
PERDRIAN Ellen Howard daur 1832 age 19 Governess Edinburgh, Scotland
Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Not sure about that, Steve. :rolleyes:

Seems Catherine was the mistress of a senior naval officer. I've searched assuming Ellen's middle name Howard was a clue but have found nothing. Catherine calls herself a 'widow' but there is no sign of a marriage. Also no sign of HOWARD as a name connected by marriage to siblings or sisters/brothers-in-law.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Not sure about that, Steve. :rolleyes:

Seems Catherine was the mistress of a senior naval officer. I've searched assuming Ellen's middle name Howard was a clue but have found nothing. Catherine calls herself a 'widow' but there is no sign of a marriage. Also no sign of HOWARD as a name connected by marriage to siblings or sisters/brothers-in-law.
Were marriages on board ships legal in those days, and if so, would they be registered on land.?

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Not sure about that.

Catherine has not been found in 1861 census. She turns up later with yet another variation of the name PERDRIAU. It is her because I have Ellen's marriage to a TUCKEY.

1871 Wales Census
Civil Parish: St Mary Tenby In Liberty
Town: Tenby
County: Pembrokeshire
PENDREN Catherine head widow 1804 age 67 Annuitant Portsea, Hampshire
TUCKEY Charles Sprot, grandson 1868 age 3 Tenby, Pembrokeshire
MORRIS Rebecca, servant 1853 age 18 Tenby, Pembrokeshire

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Dave
1851 has no mention of a seminary.
Catherine living in Uxbridge road, in receipt of some form of annuity, with her daughter & 2 young girl servants.
The rest of the road had wealthy people, i.e merchants, doctors etc.

ozn :)

ps forgot to say my Ma used to say it was lucky if your toast fell buttered side down...don't know why cos it was usually covered in cat hairs...

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
ps forgot to say my Ma used to say it was lucky if your toast fell buttered side down...don't know why cos it was usually covered in cat hairs...
:2fun: :2fun:

I was hoping to find reference to a seminary in the area on the internet but have had no luck so far.

I believe Catherine and Seminary are mentioned in a PO or similar Directory.

Regards,

Dave