• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

A very elusive marriage lookup please :)

Hi there, I am hoping that someone would be able to help me with a very difficult problem i have between:

Sarah Bridgwater (spelling of surname can be varied) born abt 1832 in Shropshire

James Smith born 1835 Rochdale, Lancashire, England.

I shall start by apologising profusely about the surnames, i know they are not the best to research at all!!

I am completely unable to find a marriange record between the pair. I know that they had their first child (a John H Smith, born 1859 in Aberfeldy - again spelling is varied) in Scotland, but a search of scotlands people turned up no matches for the couple. Their second child, James was born in Clerkenwells, Middlesex 1861, the third, Charlot, in Derbyshire 1867 and the fourth Elizabeth, in Alfreton, Derbyshire 1868.

A little history about the family - James worked alongside the railways throughout his working career. In the 1861 census he is a refiner, and in the 1871 census he is a railway labourer.

I know that Sarah died in a place called Ingleton Fells, Yorkshire in 1871.

The birth certificate of Elizabeth states the following maiden name for Sarah:

Sarah Smith, formally Sarah Bridgwater

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could shed even the slightest information on these two people!!

Thank you in advance!

Katrina

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Introduce Yourself 1
A Introduce Yourself 7
B Introduce Yourself 3
E Introduce Yourself 1
C Scottish Genealogy Roots 4
S Births 1