• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

A very elusive marriage lookup please :)

Hi there, I am hoping that someone would be able to help me with a very difficult problem i have between:

Sarah Bridgwater (spelling of surname can be varied) born abt 1832 in Shropshire

James Smith born 1835 Rochdale, Lancashire, England.

I shall start by apologising profusely about the surnames, i know they are not the best to research at all!!

I am completely unable to find a marriange record between the pair. I know that they had their first child (a John H Smith, born 1859 in Aberfeldy - again spelling is varied) in Scotland, but a search of scotlands people turned up no matches for the couple. Their second child, James was born in Clerkenwells, Middlesex 1861, the third, Charlot, in Derbyshire 1867 and the fourth Elizabeth, in Alfreton, Derbyshire 1868.

A little history about the family - James worked alongside the railways throughout his working career. In the 1861 census he is a refiner, and in the 1871 census he is a railway labourer.

I know that Sarah died in a place called Ingleton Fells, Yorkshire in 1871.

The birth certificate of Elizabeth states the following maiden name for Sarah:

Sarah Smith, formally Sarah Bridgwater

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could shed even the slightest information on these two people!!

Thank you in advance!

Katrina

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Katrina,
I cant find anything on a marriage neither. Maybe the didnt marry or married elsewhere. Got to love these elusive rellies of ours :rolleyes: :2fun:
Did find this tho, not sure if its yours but looks possible, not a lot of info on the link but there is email address on there that could be worth writing to. Always double check info that are on these family tree sites as depending on where they got the info from it can somtimes be wrong. When the link opens just click on the name and the info will come up.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi...r=&spouse=&skipdb=&period=All&submit.x=Search

gibbo

Hi Gibbo, thank you for the reply!!

I have looked at the link you posted, the first sarah, born in Milson i have come across before and believe she wasnt the same sarah i was looking for. The second one however, i will have to look into! I havent seen her or her parents anywhere before.

I do know from the two census records i have for Sarah (while she was with James), her age fluctuated so there is a possibility that this second sarah might be the one i am after!

Thank you again!

Katrina

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Gibbo, thank you for the reply!!

I have looked at the link you posted, the first sarah, born in Milson i have come across before and believe she wasnt the same sarah i was looking for. The second one however, i will have to look into! I havent seen her or her parents anywhere before.

I do know from the two census records i have for Sarah (while she was with James), her age fluctuated so there is a possibility that this second sarah might be the one i am after!

Thank you again!

Katrina
your welcome. Just hope its of some help and its the right one for you.

Hi
I found James in 1881

James 46 Widower Rochdale Labourer
James 21 Clerkenwell Labourer lodgers at 74 Brunswick St, Poplar, London, to Thomas (46) and Ellen (37) Boyles and 7 children

dave
Hi there Dave,

Yes that is the same James i have. He moved to London with his son. I dont have any information for James prior to the 1861 census though... :'(

Hi there, I am hoping that someone would be able to help me with a very difficult problem i have between:

Sarah Bridgwater (spelling of surname can be varied) born abt 1832 in Shropshire

James Smith born 1835 Rochdale, Lancashire, England.

I shall start by apologising profusely about the surnames, i know they are not the best to research at all!!

I am completely unable to find a marriange record between the pair. I know that they had their first child (a John H Smith, born 1859 in Aberfeldy - again spelling is varied) in Scotland, but a search of scotlands people turned up no matches for the couple. Their second child, James was born in Clerkenwells, Middlesex 1861, the third, Charlot, in Derbyshire 1867 and the fourth Elizabeth, in Alfreton, Derbyshire 1868.

A little history about the family - James worked alongside the railways throughout his working career. In the 1861 census he is a refiner, and in the 1871 census he is a railway labourer.

I know that Sarah died in a place called Ingleton Fells, Yorkshire in 1871.

The birth certificate of Elizabeth states the following maiden name for Sarah:

Sarah Smith, formally Sarah Bridgwater

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could shed even the slightest information on these two people!!

Thank you in advance!

Katrina
hi i thought parish records were online anyway..google it see what it comes up with.i know i had to pay a liitle when i looked up sussex parish records.