• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Abram White / Thorogood 1840 Great Bardfield

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Friends

Help !!! I am slowly going mad (no comments please, I probably am all ready)

I am looking for the birth cert ref for Abram Thorogood in abt 1840 at Great Bardfield, I have looked at another tree on ancestry which seams to tie in but the name on that for Abrams family is White again I can find no birth cert to tie in, On Abrams Wedding Cert his father is Joseph Thorogood, (he married Sarah Harvey on June 22 1859 age 19) in the Census for 1841 for Great Bardfield if White is the family I have Abrams father Joseph age 30 Mother Mary age 55 Sister Emily 10 Brother John 7 and Abram aged 1 This is in the Hundred of Freshwell.

I would also like to find them in 1851 census.

Gwen :confused: :'(

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Gwen

I have found a birth for Abraham

1839 July -Sept
Abraham Thorogood Witham Essex X11 287 or 237 or could be 5 in the middle

Also on the same page is
Elizabeth Thorogood Witham XII 297

I do not think that Abraham is the same number . I have magnified it quite a bit and still cannot come to a conclusion.

There are some Abraham White's in 1840 but they are from Bradford, Macclesfield, and Rochdale.

I have not found anything in the 1851 Census

Maddie.

Can anyone try the GRO index on An.....y to see if they can read the number.

Gerard

I have not really followed this thread, but I had a quick scan at the posts. It has been mentioned that the name White was tied in as per Ancestry ( I have not checked this). However there is a baptism for Abraham WHITE at Gt Bardfield 19th April 1840 on FamilySearch which gives the name of the parents as Joseph WHITE and Mary

It is an extracted entry so, transcription errors apart, it should be in the PRs for St Mary the Virgin.

As to why a GRO entry has not been found:
The birth was simply not registered (not uncommon before 1876).

The birth took place away from Gt Bardfield and was registered at that location. The mother may have been having a difficult pregnancy and was moved to an adjacent workhouse infirmary etc or simply travelling and gave birth prematurely.

The child was not baptised straight after his birth (again not uncommon) therefore you need need to check the GRO back to July 1837. On the same theme he could have been born prior to registration. As I said, I haven't followed the thread fully so may be the Census Returns indicate a birth year of 1840.

Cheers,

Gerard

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Gwen

I have found a birth for Abraham

1839 July -Sept
Abraham Thorogood Witham Essex X11 287 or 237 or could be 5 in the middle

Also on the same page is
Elizabeth Thorogood Witham XII 297

I do not think that Abraham is the same number . I have magnified it quite a bit and still cannot come to a conclusion.

There are some Abraham White's in 1840 but they are from Bradford, Macclesfield, and Rochdale.

I have not found anything in the 1851 Census

Maddie.

Can anyone try the GRO index on An.....y to see if they can read the number.
Hi Maddie

I have already sent for that and it is the wrong one, He was from Great Cooggleshall and the parents names do not tie in.

Thank you

Gwen

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Maddie

I have already sent for that and it is the wrong one, He was from Great Cooggleshall and the parents names do not tie in.

Thank you

Gwen
Hi Gwen,

Have you tried searching the 1841 census page by page in Great Cogeshall.

There appears to be 81 pages across the 6 districts for Great Cogeshall.

Not sure how complete they are.

Steve.:)

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Gwen,

Steve.:)[/QUOTE

Hi Steve

The Abram Thorogood/White I need was born 1840 in Great Bardfield, the Witham one which Cert I sent for is Great Coggeshall and the parents are Edward and Jane formerly Potter.

I have Abram Thorogood in 1861 census as born in Great Bardfield, and on his Marriage cert his father is Joseph Thorogood from another tree on Ancestry I have them in 1841 Great Bardfield census but as WHITE, from the birth cirt I hope to get an idea of why the name change.

Gwen :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwen,

Steve.:)[/QUOTE

Hi Steve

The Abram Thorogood/White I need was born 1840 in Great Bardfield, the Witham one which Cert I sent for is Great Coggeshall and the parents are Edward and Jane formerly Potter.

I have Abram Thorogood in 1861 census as born in Great Bardfield, and on his Marriage cert his father is Joseph Thorogood from another tree on Ancestry I have them in 1841 Great Bardfield census but as WHITE, from the birth cirt I hope to get an idea of why the name change.

Gwen :)
Sorry Gwen,

I had read the thread, but got carried away emailing.:biggrin:

Steve.:)

Hi Gwenyth
I don't know if the tree I looked at is the one you mention, owner ROZ52, but I would have thought contact with her would be a good idea. Roughly she has John White married Elizabeth Thurgood. One of their children was Joseph White Thurgood who married Mary Ann Mason who were the parents of Abraham. Was Joseph a base born child of Elizabeth. I can't find the records you want, but ROZ52 may be able to help.
If you haven't got access to A.....Y, I can send her a message for you.
dave

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Gwenyth
I don't know if the tree I looked at is the one you mention, owner ROZ52, but I would have thought contact with her would be a good idea. Roughly she has John White married Elizabeth Thurgood. One of their children was Joseph White Thurgood who married Mary Ann Mason who were the parents of Abraham. Was Joseph a base born child of Elizabeth. I can't find the records you want, but ROZ52 may be able to help.
If you haven't got access to A.....Y, I can send her a message for you.
dave
Hi Dave

Yes I do have access to A......Y, but rather than just accepting the hints I was trying to research this to confirm this info. I have been up an aweful lot of blind alleys with my tree as I cannot research parish records for myself.

As you suggest I will contact the tree owner.

Thank You

Gwen