• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Absolute beginner!! needs help

mikehardy

Hi All, I am an absolute beginner but what I have found so far by googleing for info is that in every case there seems to be a cost levied to search records!! I cannot believe this. So my question: is it possible to search birth and death records for free.

Thanks for any comments (apologise if I have posted in the wrong place)

Mike. :)

mikehardy

Thanks gibbo, I have little info on my great grandfather other than his name and address where he died I have looked at the 1911 census (free for 5mins!!) and established his DoB but place of birth is miles away from where he died so I am wondering if I have the right person. What would be helpful is a 'beginners tutorial' - is there such a thing on this site?

Mike.

mikehardy

Thanks Dave, What I have: Name: Fredrick Hardy. DoB 1872, Place Millbay.

Died 1957-8, place Birmingham, Leigh Road, B8. Son (my father) William Fredrick Hardy

He is listed aged 9 on the 1881 census and 39 on the 1911 census ( if I have the correct person).

The date of death is correct from what I can remember.

Mike.

mikehardy

Hi gibbo, Sorry I don't have my grandmother's name, I was very young when she died and cannot remember, she was always gran to me. The other info is correct.

Mike.