• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Adoption

Website
mickdawber.tribalpages.com
This might seem like an odd one, but it has been suggested several times that I was adopted, and I have always felt that I may have been. Would it have been possible for my parents to adopt me at birth, and have their names put on my birth certificate, to avoid any issues? If so, is there any way of me being able to find out if I was adopted?

Website
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have my birth certificate, and it names Colin and Sandra Dawber as my parents, but I wondered if there is any way they could have adopted me and put their names on the birth certificate, perhaps if my real parents didnt want me, or my natural father wasnt my mother's husband?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have my birth certificate, and it names Colin and Sandra Dawber as my parents, but I wondered if there is any way they could have adopted me and put their names on the birth certificate, perhaps if my real parents didnt want me, or my natural father wasnt my mother's husband?
All things are possible Mick. The only way to find out, might be a DNA test, with one or more of your siblings as samplers.
Delicate ground that though, even if they agree to it.

Steve.:)

if you think you may have been adopted depending on the date you think you where adopted . you can now apply to the adopted childrens register, for your original birth certificate., there is a time limit that you can apply from, ie: if you were born before a certain date you cannot see the records, unless that has changed over the years. sorry cannot remember the dates.

just checked the dates, the only stipulation is if you were adopted prior to 1975 you have to have councilling. If you google the adopted childrens register all the information is on there. good luck

Hi Mick
Just my own observation. Your parents married a year before their first child, which seems right. They had another child a year after that which also seems ok. Why would they then adopt 3/4 years later, unless of course they took on a relations base born child, and in this case there was only Ian as Colin was an only child..

dave

Website
Good point Dave. Its hard to figure out, because my mum ran away when I was around 3 or 4, so I don't really know much about the family. I do know that my mum had 3 ectopic pregnancies before I arrived, and there was a letter at home, to my father, implying that I was adopted, or not his son. So, for years I have suspected that I was adpoted, or my father wasnt my real father.

When you say that my father was an only child, you mention someone called Ian, who is that Dave? You know more about my family than I do!!

snowydacat

Hi Mick
My other half was adopted by his step grandfather (yes that does get confusing) and grandmother. The birth certificate he had was in his adopted name and he didnt know until he was 27!
It was only a couple of years ago that we trawled through births and found his original certificate which was in his birth mothers maiden name. So yes, the certificate you have may not have your birth name on it if you are adopted.
I have no idea how you would find it if you dont know what the original surname was though.
As an aside, we are getting married next year and decided to both take his original birth name, just to add a bit of interest to those researching our family trees a few years down the line lol
Snowy

When you say that my father was an only child, you mention someone called Ian, who is that Dave? You know more about my family than I do!!
According to BMD Ian L Charnock was born O/D 1948 Chorley ref 10c 5, to the same named parents as your mother, who was born J/S 1946 Chorley ref 10c 17

You asked how you could be certain all the names I posted are yours. Only by getting certificates can you be reasonably sure, but I am pretty confident they are all ok so far. Have you access to Ancestry, if so there is a tree for Harold Charnock who married Evelyn M Lowe. I don't know if it is right but it gives Harolds parents as Thomas H Charnock and Jane McCracken. (On BMD there are three other possibilities without any other info available). \\if you do not have access, if you send me your email address by PM, I'll send it to the tree owner and ask him/her to contact you. Is this Harold, the one you thought was on your Jordan tree?

dave

Website
According to BMD Ian L Charnock was born O/D 1948 Chorley ref 10c 5, to the same named parents as your mother, who was born J/S 1946 Chorley ref 10c 17

You asked how you could be certain all the names I posted are yours. Only by getting certificates can you be reasonably sure, but I am pretty confident they are all ok so far. Have you access to Ancestry, if so there is a tree for Harold Charnock who married Evelyn M Lowe. I don't know if it is right but it gives Harolds parents as Thomas H Charnock and Jane McCracken. (On BMD there are three other possibilities without any other info available). \\if you do not have access, if you send me your email address by PM, I'll send it to the tree owner and ask him/her to contact you. Is this Harold, the one you thought was on your Jordan tree?

dave

I would assume that they are related, as Dawber is not a very common name.

That has really surprised me, that my mother was born in Chorley, as her father was in the air force, and based at Lyneham, Wiltshire, but they had also lived in Malaysia. Harold Charnock and Evelyn Lowe sound familiar, and I'm pretty certain that they are my mother's parents, but they always lived in Swindon from what I remember. This is a different Harold to the one on the Jordan tree, that is Robert's father, and he would have been born in the Notts/Derby area.