• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Advice desperately needed!

ral91

Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a Thomas Spencer, the father of Charlotte Spencer, in Censuses, marriages etc. and have come up with little. However, I came across a record that lists him lodging in St James' Square, St James Westminster with Lord Cranmore.

This could possibly be my Thomas Spencer. My theory is as follows - His daughter, Charlotte, lived her life in Bethnal Green area and her husband was a poor silk weaver, however, they were married in St James' Church, Piccadilly, Westiminster. She was baptised in Shoreditch, as well. So, do you think this could be her father living in St James' and that's the reason she was married there? This is the only Census I can find for him as he was born about 1770's or a little later. By this time Charlotte was married so I can't see her living with her parents on Censuses.

Lastly, on Charlotte's baptism record the parents are Thomas and Mary, and living with Lord Cranmore is a Thomas Spencer and Maria Spencer, however she would have been born in 1807, about the same age as Charlotte so she can't be Mary. That's where it falls apart.

Sorry for the incoherent deluge of info and sheer length of this, but I'd appreciate some help on this.

Ryan :)