• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Advice desperately needed!

ral91

Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a Thomas Spencer, the father of Charlotte Spencer, in Censuses, marriages etc. and have come up with little. However, I came across a record that lists him lodging in St James' Square, St James Westminster with Lord Cranmore.

This could possibly be my Thomas Spencer. My theory is as follows - His daughter, Charlotte, lived her life in Bethnal Green area and her husband was a poor silk weaver, however, they were married in St James' Church, Piccadilly, Westiminster. She was baptised in Shoreditch, as well. So, do you think this could be her father living in St James' and that's the reason she was married there? This is the only Census I can find for him as he was born about 1770's or a little later. By this time Charlotte was married so I can't see her living with her parents on Censuses.

Lastly, on Charlotte's baptism record the parents are Thomas and Mary, and living with Lord Cranmore is a Thomas Spencer and Maria Spencer, however she would have been born in 1807, about the same age as Charlotte so she can't be Mary. That's where it falls apart.

Sorry for the incoherent deluge of info and sheer length of this, but I'd appreciate some help on this.

Ryan :)

Hi
I found this on IGI.

Marriage - Thomas Spencer to Mary Boilling - 29 Aug 1799 St Giles Cripplegate

Possible births to Thomas Spencer and Mary
1. ELISABETH SPENCER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female, Birth: 14 Jan 1799, Christening: 20 FEB 1799 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

2. WILLIAM SPENCER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male, Birth: 24 Dec 1803, Christening: 15 JAN 1804 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

3. JOHN FREDERICK SPENCER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male, Birth: 7 Feb 1806, Christening: 23 FEB 1806 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

4. THOMAS SPENCER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male, Birth: 10 Sep 1802, Christening: 29 SEP 1802 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

5. CHARLOTTE SPENCER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female, Birth: 16 Feb 1806 Christening: 13 MAR 1808 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

6. HANNAH SPENCER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female, Birth: 27 Aug 1809, Christening: 10 SEP 1809 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

7. ESTHER SPENCER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female, Birth: 25 Aug 1800, Christening: 07 SEP 1800 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

dave

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Dave,

I also saw that marriage - put aside for safe keeping and future reference. :)

With regard to the possible children, that would certainly look like the Charlotte I have. Are the others siblings or just possibilities you found?

Ryan:)