• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

after some good advice please!

JMR

Valued Member
hi All,

We have a new baby girl due to be born into the family in June and I would really appreciate some help with what to store away for her.

Years ago when my younger children were born a girlfriend said that she always put the newspaper from the day they were born in an archive box so they could read it on their 21st birthday. I started that tradition and mine have all loved getting their's on that day. I also keep the newspaper that has their birth notice in it and I added their health centre book and hospital tags etc. As the grandchildren have come along I now add their birthday cards and what they make me at kinder etc and that has proved popular as well.

Since I now understand the frustration of not having enough information about the people I'm researching because things have gone missing, been thrown away or damaged in house fires, I'm trying to think of innovative things to put into a sort of time capsule for this new little one. She may well be the first one not to have her Gt Grandparents around in her living memory. I'm not doing well in the creative thinking department though and so would welcome any and all suggestions please! :)

Cheers,
Jill

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jill,
What about a dvd player with dvd/s of all the relations in shot. A mini family film so to speak. Record the area she was born in and where her mum was brought up in.
A verbal commentary from you or her mum, or everyone introducing themselves.
Just about anything that you could record.
I would imagine that would be as close to 'real life' as you could get.
As technology moves on so quick, the means to play a dvd must also be included.

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi JMR

Yes, I would go along with Steve's suggestion. Maybe even an audio commentary of your life story on a cassette for the future generations to listen to.

Ben

JMR

Valued Member
Steve and Ben,

Brilliant ideas. I'd dismissed the idea of any technology because it does move on so quickly, but getting small DVD player would be brilliant Steve and Ben I hadn't even thought of leaving stories behind, but how much I'd love to have that now from my Grandparents. I'd love to just hear their voices again. My Mum has lots of family stories and poems she could recite as well.

Thanks so much for the ideas!

Cheers,
Jill

jon attwood

some great ideas so far, but why not go a step further...
how about writing up all your family history research, copying any photos you may have etc.
that way it won't just be a record of you for her to find in the box, it will be a proper history of her family, something I'm sure everyone on here would have appreciated getting. even if she isnt into genealogy it will be something interesting that she may well pass on to her children in turn.

Jon

JMR

Valued Member
That's a great idea too Jon. Thanks! I know I would have appreciated having that. Photos are a good idea because otherwise she'll be at the mercy of others to keep them for her.

Cheers,
Jill

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi jill,
I know it seems obvious, but dont forget a synopsis of you own life, your work, your schooldays, what you did for a work, wedding details, trials and tribulations of your life , how you felt when you had your children etc etc,
This part of your life and your feelings and the joy and hardships you have encountered are somethings that others would have given a fortune to obtain.
It will give an insight to your life that will be unique and more personal .
Best regards Sterico

JMR

Valued Member
Thanks Sterico, I will do that. I have been asking my Mother to do exactly what you suggest for a couple of months now (she's 83) and she refuses point blank. I remember Mum asking my Grandmother to write the stories of her life down decades ago and she refused in exactly the same way. So I think now is a good time for me to do that in case I also get awkward about it when I'm older.

Cheers,
Jill

Hi Jill
My granddaughter was born premature and tiny, so much so that I had to search all over the place for little clothes for her. Now she is coming up to her 21st and cannot believe that she really fitted into 'dolls clothes'. Keep some of the first outfits, babies grow so quickly and don't wear anything out (except their parents) it's so easy to pass their little wardrobes on to other new borns. Just a few of the tiny boots or vests speak volumes in sentiment.
Thus speaks a sentimental old granny:kissu:
All the best to you and the new arrival.
Carol :)

JMR

Valued Member
Thanks for the best wishes Leefer (PS we're still on the Pawson trail - it's slow)

Carol, what a fabulous idea. It's great even looking back on old photos and rememberin their little outfits, but to have one of them intact would be fantastic.

leefer

Loyal Member
Thanks for the best wishes Leefer (PS we're still on the Pawson trail - it's slow)

Carol, what a fabulous idea. It's great even looking back on old photos and rememberin their little outfits, but to have one of them intact would be fantastic.
And when i get to Sheffield i will hunt Mr Pawson down!

gedcom

A friend of mine has a set of 'Shadow' drawings that she did of her children. You know where you get people to sit and cast a shadow on a piece of paper and draw around their facial outline then shade it in black. It looks very effective and makes a change from a photograph.

All the best for the new arrival.

Gedcom

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
It's a breath of fresh air to talk about the living and future generations.

If it was a boy Jill, I wouldn't be offended if he was named after me.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Ah........ what about Stephanie. That sounds nice.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck to you Jill. I think this little time capsule will be stuffed to the hilt.:)

Steve.:)

marie44

That's a great idea too Jon. Thanks! I know I would have appreciated having that. Photos are a good idea because otherwise she'll be at the mercy of others to keep them for her.

Cheers,
Jill
and others are not reliable in keeping anything. everything i had was taken from me and i got nothing.
marie44

JMR

Valued Member
Gedcom - that's a lovely idea. A friend of mine had those done of each of her 3 girls and they love them.

Steve - this is a girl and already named, Mikayla Jane (Michaela for those of us not genY). I do have a niece called Stephanie though.

marie 44 it's incredibly sad that your things are not in your possession and I can only imagine how distressed you must feel. I do have a good news story though which might give you some hope.

I recently got in touch with a second cousin. She is the Granddaughter of my Grandma's brother Willie, who was killed in France in WW1. She was thrilled that I had tracked her down. I'd been trying to find a living descendant of my Gaunt family for 2 years and one day I saw a tree appear on Ancestry that happened to have Willie's wife's, brother listed on it. The tree owner put me in touch with his sister in law, who vaguely remembered her cousin was Willie's Granddaughter. The sister in law said that she would arrange a meeting with her, but thanks to snow, cold and general bad weather it took about 4 months before the meeting took place, I had all but given up of hearing of them again. Then suddenly I got a letter out of the blue (this lady doesn't have email). She was so grateful, because I had a whole lot of photos and memorabilia to share with her. All their keepsakes had been lost in a house fire at her Mother's many years previously and amongst the things that were detroyed were Willie's photos, letters, medals etc. - heartbreaking! None of Willie's direct descendants got to see any of his photos and letters and now they have copies of what my Grandma saved and what a wonderful Gt Aunt forwarded to Australia to my Dad once she died. I now have lots of his descendants to communicate with and see when I'm back home.

Marie 44 keep trying to uncover some kind person who shares your Renshaws and can send you some things. Never Never Never give up!!!!! The universe will work with you and you'll be blown away by what it uncovers.

kind regards,
Jill