• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Age at Marriage.

Was it usual for girls to marry at 16 in the 19th Century? What was the minimum age at which a 'child' could be married?

In my tree, I have a Phoebe Rock born about 1809 - married Nov 1825 and she has a 15 year old son by the 1841 census.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

oznannie

Loyal Member
I'm guessing here that Phoebe married George Cooper in Worcs 1825?
In the 1841 census ages were rounded off, the son may have not been 15.
Have you found a birth for Joseph?
There is a bapt in IGI for Joseph Thompson Cooper 1827 mother Phebe
St Thos Dudley Worc.

I'm not sure if this is of help.

oznannie

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Michael,

Im not sure what the age thing was back then for marriage but i have one that married here in Australia in 1865 whilst only 16. The birth date of her first child indicates she would have been definately pregnant when they married.

gibbo

I'm guessing here that Phoebe married George Cooper in Worcs 1825?
In the 1841 census ages were rounded off, the son may have not been 15.
Have you found a birth for Joseph?
There is a bapt in IGI for Joseph Thompson Cooper 1827 mother Phebe
St Thos Dudley Worc.

I'm not sure if this is of help.

oznannie
Yes, they married in Clent, Worcestershire 21 Nov 1825. I have her christening as 13 Nov 1808 so looks like she was in fact 17..

I'll check out Joseph Thompson Cooper.

Thanks for your reply .............. they are ALWAYS helpful!
Michael

Hi Michael,

Im not sure what the age thing was back then for marriage but i have one that married here in Australia in 1865 whilst only 16. The birth date of her first child indicates she would have been definately pregnant when they married.

gibbo
I'm hesitating to include some people until I have further evidence but I have one relative who seems to be fathering a son at 14 .......... seems teenage pregancies are nothing new. Wonder what the equivalent of the "Daily Mail" was in 18th century:biggrin:

Michael

gibbo

Loyal Member
I'm hesitating to include some people until I have further evidence but I have one relative who seems to be fathering a son at 14 .......... seems teenage pregancies are nothing new. Wonder what the equivalent of the "Daily Mail" was in 18th century:biggrin:

Michael
14 :eek:
Nah teen pregancies are nothing new they just kept it quieter back then than these days. I have found with some in my lot that they were or seemed to be pregnant when they married regardless of their ages. Awful lot of them seemed to have kids 6 and 7 months after marrying.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I can't think it was common. I have been doing my family tree for years and haven't come across any marriages below 15 and that was rare and was 18th century or before. Most young marriages were at 16 and generally were a young woman and much older husband. though occasionally I have come across an older woman and a younger husband though only by a couple of years.

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
Until the passing of the 1753 Marriage Act there was no minimum age to marriage.
Under ecclesiastical law a child was considered old enough to marry when they realised the implications of marriage.
This allowed for marriages of children as young as 7 years old.
This continued until 1929 in England, Wales & Scotland and 1975 in Ireland.
A Select Committee viewed the marriages between 1924 & 1927 and found evidence of only 119 girls and 4 boys under the age of 16 getting married.

Between 1753 and 1823 when the law was repealed parental (guardian) consent was required for the marriage of a minor.
Since 1823 parental consent was not required.

There was a further restriction on marriage which is worth mentioning and that is apprenticeship.
Cheers
Guy

I wonder if the laws regarding marriage were the same in Australia :confused:
I'd be interested to know what the laws were in Australia. Please post them when you find out. And, what about the USA?

Thanks to all who are contributing to this. For me this kind of background is what makes family history worthwhile, when genealogy becomes social history.

Best wishes to you all,
Michael

gibbo

Loyal Member
I'd be interested to know what the laws were in Australia. Please post them when you find out. And, what about the USA?

Thanks to all who are contributing to this. For me this kind of background is what makes family history worthwhile, when genealogy becomes social history.

Best wishes to you all,
Michael
Hi Michael,
I cant find a thing on the law for ages in marriages in the early years in Australia. I wonder if it come under the UK law :confused: Im still looking so if i find anything i will put it on here for you.

gibbo