• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Albert Laycock

Can someone please try to find in the 1911 census Albert Laycock his wife is Mary Steele they are probably in Workington Cumberland.i am really trying to find out if Albert was married to someone before Mary Steele.but where were they in 1911.Thank You for your kind help.Robert Warbrick

emeltee

Loyal Member
They were living at 8 Little Church Lane, Workington

Albert Laycock 38 Sheffield
Mary Laycock 40 wife Workington
Walter Laycock 11 son Sheffield
Sarah Laycock 10 dau Workington
Ernest Laycock 8 son Workington
John Laycock 5 son Workington
Lily Laycock 1 dau Workington

I can find sarah, Ernest, John and Lily on the GRO site and they all have mmn Steel. I cannot find Walter's birth nor can I see a marriage for Albert and Mary.

Emeltee

Emeltee thank you,these are my mothers parents and siblings.i remember uncle Walter he used to visit from Glasgow,he had a scots ascent so he must have lived there for a bit,some family members think Albert was married to a Mary Reid before Mary Steele but I cannot find anything.but its good to know were Walter and Mary were living in 1911.my mother was born in 1914 after Lily,but I think there was another sibling in between them.Many thanks for your help.Robert Warbrick

emeltee

Loyal Member
There is a marriage on FreeBMD for an Albert Laycock marrying either a Mary Ann Reid or a Mary Greatorex
Dec 1896 Cockermouth 10b 1022

There is also a death for a Mary Ann Laycock Jun 1900 Cockermouth 10b 382 aged 24

Worth looking into.

Emeltee

emeltee

Loyal Member
Further to my last post I have just found Walter's birth ref. His birth was not registered in Sheffield, as per the 1911 Census, but in Cockermouth.
Walter Laycock Jun 1900 Cockermouth 10b 264 mmn Reid.

Looks like Mary Ann may have died in childbirth.

Emeltee

Emeltee thanks again,this is starting to bring thing together now.i will now try and get to grips with Mary Steeles parents.thanks again you have been very helpful.Robert Warbrick

emeltee

Loyal Member
I have done some more digging and found more for you. In the 1901 Census Albert and Mary have two children with them who are described as Albert's stepdaughters, Kate and Violet although they have the surname Laycock. According to the birth refs their surname was Reid and the mmn was Steele. There is a marriage in Cockermouth for a Mary Steele and a Hugh Andrew Reid Dec 1889 Cockermouth 10b 935.

In the 1891 Census Andrew Reid and wife Mary are living in South Marsh Street, Workington, Andrew is 24, a Labourer born Ireland and Mary is 22 born Workington.

I can't see a death for either a Hugh or an Andrew Reid in Cumberland but there is a marriage for a Mary Reid to Albert Laycock Dec 1900 Cockermouth 10b 1078.

Emeltee

rupert

Loyal Member
There is a marriage on FreeBMD for an Albert Laycock marrying either a Mary Ann Reid or a Mary Greatorex
Dec 1896 Cockermouth 10b 1022

There is also a death for a Mary Ann Laycock Jun 1900 Cockermouth 10b 382 aged 24

Worth looking into.

Emeltee

Death notice for Mary Ann Laycock in the West Cumberland Times 2 May 1900 and Workington Star 4 May 1900 death at Infirmary.

Rupert

Attachments

Last edited:
Emeltee and Rupert thank you both,i am now trying to get my head round all this info.Rupert I was looking round the cemetery mentioned in Mary Ann Laycock.s death notice a few weeks ago,at the time I did not know Mary Ann was in there or I would have had a look for her grave.So thanks again I will most likely be back in touch when I gat stuck again.Robert Warbrick