• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ale house and poor law.

benny1982

Staff member
From
England
In 1759 my ancestor is listed in the Norwich "vagrant and settlement" records 1754-1788 and it says what parish he was of but also says "Ale House".

I have tried googling but does anyone know what an ale house had to do with poor law?

I would guess that an Ale House, was his home, once he was settled......or he had an Ale house previously.

A persons trade, or occupation was part of the process of being allowed to settle. If a trade or profession could benefit the Parish, you were more than halfway to be allowed to 'settle'.

It's pretty much similar to be allowed to settle/emigrate in Australia or America....If you have a profession that's needed/wanted, you stood a better chance.

In general, if you had nothing to offer a Parish.....why would they allow them to settle.

Steve.:)

Last edited:
Thanks. Seems he was a bit of a businessman then. And as I have found, just because someone had property did not mean they would leave a will, I know rellies who had a business but never left a will. AFAIK my alehouse keeper ancestor never left a will.

Back