• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Alexander Donaldson

iainsanders2

Hi Folks,
I posted earlier this year on the topic of Donaldson and, since then i have found more on him but, having not been researching for too long would welcome any help from other members on the info i have as, i'm not 100%sure on this.
My gr. grandmother Grace Allan was born on 18/11/1867, her birth cert., only mentions her mother, Sarah Allan, Grace was down as illigitimate.
Grace married twice, 1st to Thomas Cherrie, 26/8/1892, Roslin, Midlothian, 2nd time to Robert Brown 31/12/1907, Lasswade, Midlothian. On both her certs., her parents are Alexander Donaldson ( baker ) & Sarah Donaldson. as was on her death cert.
On the census returns of 1871 Grace (3) was under the name of Donaldson & was living with her grandparents Andrew & Grace Allan plus mother Sarah Allan.
1881 Grace (13) was down as Grace A D, living with her mother who had just Married a William Swan on 2/6/1871.

Cannot find any marriages of an Alexander Donaldson or Sarah Allan.

The Alexander Donaldson i think is my gr.gr.grandfather was born on 13/1/1841 Lasswade and he became a baker. His parents were John Donaldson & Isabella Williamson who where mrried on29/1/1841, Loanhead.
John was also a baker by trade.
John was born on 1/6/1818 in Lauder, Berwickshire and, died on 28/8/1857 aged 38. They had quite a large family and lived in the Lasswade, Penicuik areas of Midlothian.
John's parents were Alexander Donaldson ( baker) & Alison Graham, but i have no more on them.
Is there any member with a bit more experience think this is the same family.

Cheers Iain:)

lizanne

Did you get her birth off Scotland's People ?
If so was there no RCE with the birth ?
If paternity has been proved the entry in the register would have been corrected.

iainsanders2

Hi Jane,
I did get the certificate from 'Scotlands people' but, there was no RCE marked anywhere on it.
I believe it would have been marked on the left side of the cert.

Cheers Iain