• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Alexander ENGLISH - Born 1882 in North Shields

Shiny

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of help with a newly discovered relative.

His name was Alexander English and he was born on the 27th of April 1882 in North Shields, Tyne and Wear.

I know he joined the Royal Navy in 1904 and that he was invalided out in 1914. On his return he ended up in Morpeth Asylum and then died on the 4th of August 1918. He was then brought back to North Shields where he was buried in Preston cemetery in an unmarked communal grave.

I want to know what happened to him.

Why was he sent to the asylum, was it battle shock, was he an alcoholic or was it something else?

What did he die of and how did he end up back home in an unmarked grave?

I have found him on the census and I even have his navy service record but I don't know where to look next.

Can anyone help me with either information or suggestions of where to look?

Thanks a lot,

Michael

emeltee

Loyal Member
His death certificate will tell you what he died of. the GRO reference is

Alexander English aged 37 Sep 1918 Morpeth vol 10b page 489

You can order the certificate on line from gro.gov.uk

Emeltee

stockpot

Valued Member
Morpeth St. George's Asylum Patient Case Book is deposited with Northumberland Archives and will have details of Alexander English. I obtained details about an ancestor of mine from the Case Book of Edinburgh Asylum and there was a lot of interesting information about their condition.
Unfortunately there is a 100 year rule and so you won't be able to access the Case Book until Oct 2018, i.e. 100yr after Alexander's death (though I think this can be wavered if you can prove that you are a direct descendant)

Elaine

Shiny

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the help, I have checked with Northumberland Archives and they do have a case file on him and it is sealed until 1 Jan 2019.

Is there any other way of finding the COD without getting the death certificate?

I have quite a few I'd like to know about which would make it pretty expensive.

Michael