• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

alfred michael angelo sparrow

hi all
looking for info on alfred michael angelo sparrow born in 1874/77 in london
father george sparrow wine marchant from london
i have looked all over on bmd index and can not fined him
on his army recored he is alfred michael angelo sparrow
and he was married with the some as above in 1909 in gateshead up north
his father died before he married all info from alfred's marrage cert

any info welcomed thanks

susanwillis59

Valued Member
do you have ancestry there is a photograh of alfred on there attached to a family tree/pearson is this your alfred dob is the same , got a couple of things to do then will have a look see for you later.sue

susanwillis59

Valued Member
any idea were in london alfred was born as there are a few alfreds with the same name but not the correct father. who did he marry in 1909 and where,will help find him on the 1911.sue

BraisherT

Does his marriage certificate give his occupation? Or his army record? Might help narrow it down, there seem to be a lot of Alfred Sparrows (though what a great middle name he had!).

There is an Alfred Sparrow in 1891 census living in Yorkshire, recorded as someone's page boy so no parents' names.
Will look further later when I have more time.

Edited to add: How sure are you of father's name? If you've got original marriage certificate, I guess you are. It's just that there is another (better referenced) tree on ancestry with the parents as Elizabeth J and Joseph M Sparrow.
In the censuses they have attached to the tree, in 1881 Joseph is a clothworker in St Martin in the Fields. By 1891 Elizabeth is a widow, but they are still living in SMitF.

Last edited:

susanwillis59

Valued Member
Hi Tamsin, think you have come to the same conclusion as me , seems too much of a coincidence that there are so many sparrows with the same 3 forenames, even with the fathers name on the marriage certif, its going to be hard. i saw that tree you mentioned,. ive got a few things to do today but will have a mooch later on tonight see what i can find.unless anyone else comes up with anything.sue

hi all
the family tree you are on about is my family tree
the joseph j sparrow was a c----k up
i have not removed it yet
he is my email is. Email removed for security reasons, please use the pm system to exchange emails. Julie Moderator
i can not get the marrage cert on here ? alfred worked as a ships stawerd
before 1909 when he married it is on the marrage cert
father george sparrow wine marchant london on marrage cert died before marrage
as alfred joined the army in 1914 he was married to margaret he was a ships staward upto joining the army
that is all the info we have

Last edited by a moderator:

susanwillis59

Valued Member
cannot find anything on the census re; alfred or his father george, unless you have access to the 1911 which i only use on a pay as you go basis, as you know that he was living in gateshead with his wife margaret laybourne parker, in 1909 he was age 30 then which definatly makes him born in 1874.
the good news is i have found his military service records took me all afternoon, but here goes.:
bear in mind a lot of the records are illegiable.
alfred michael angelo sparrow born 1874.
served with the lincoln regiment from 1/11/15 to 9/1/1919 and was invalided out with rheumatics in 1919 he was in st lukes war hospital in halifax, unfortunatly unable to read why or if he was injured.
his regimental no is 32144 rank private unit 833 labour corps.
he got the bronze star, the victory medal and the british war medal.
his address was given as follows
88 james street, blaydon newcastle.
hope this gives you a start.
sue

susanwillis59

Valued Member
ps forgot to mention that on the military records it ususally gives the next of kin ie wife and names the children but i didnt find any, sometimes its just pot luck what is able to be read or not. sue

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Anthony,

Excuse me for butting in. But I can't help thinking that the Michael Angelo part of his name, maybe a bit of an elaboration for some reason, even if it is the name he gave at time of marriage, plus war records etc.

But I really do hope I'm wrong......what a name.;) :) :)

Steve.:)

susanwillis59

Valued Member
you might have something there and may be the reason i cannot find an alfred sparrow father george on the census or anywhere else other than his military records when he definatly gave his ful moniker. problem is there are to many alfred sparrows and none with a daddy called george.suex

susanwillis59

Valued Member
if it was me id start with what you know, its prior to 1909 when he was married that seems to be the problem, i would get his birth certificate and get his mothers name first, was there any address on his marriage certificate that would help with a census lookup. i tried the baptism records and all the relevant census. i did find an alfred angelo sparrow but the parents were henry and alicia although the date was correct. suex

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looks like the family that Sue found. Alicia is a widow occupation shirt maker, though Alfreds middle initial is H, the enumerator could have made a mistake.

Class RG11
Piece 124
Folio 17
Page 27

This one has been driving me nuts as well.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looking back on the 1871, if I've got the right family, Henry Sparrows occupation is carpenter, wife is Eliza may have been some kind of transcription error, one of the daughters is called Alice. Henry died in 1877. I cant find anything on the Alfred Angelo Sparrow that Sue found. :eek:

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looking back on the 1871, if I've got the right family, Henry Sparrows occupation is carpenter, wife is Eliza may have been somekind of transcription error, one of the daughters is called Alice. Henry died in 1877. I cant find anything on the Alfred Angelo Sparrow that Sue found . Think I might be going up the wrong path. :eek:

susanwillis59

Valued Member
just a thought now that you have alfreds regimental number , it would be an idea to send an email to the imperial war museaum, with the info that you have, im sure if you post a query on our military forum one of the guys would have the link for you. they may be able to get some more info for you, from what i have read they are pretty helpful.also if he was a ships steward , what shipping line did he work for, obviously living in gateshead it would be one of the north east companys so that should narrow it down a bit, most of the companys are quite well documented and there are lots of web sites. sue