• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Alfred Thring - London 1830?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find an exact birthdate for an Alfred Thring. He was born abt 1830, he married a Mary Ann Baker in Jun 1856, Durban, Natal, South Africa. His father was Samuel James Thring who married twice, I don't have the name of his first wife, of whom Alfred is a descendant. Samuels second wife was a Elizabeth Treleaven-Abbot. Samuel and Elizabeth emigrated to South Africa in 1849 with their nine children. Samuels father was also a Samuel and his father was a James who were both christened in St.Botoloph, Bishopsgate, London.
Would appreciate any assistance offered. Thank you.

Peter

Hi
I presue you have this

RG number:HO107 Piece:680 Book/Folio:11/20 Page:35

THRING, Samuel M 35 1806 Middlesex Trunk maker died 1851 Natal
THRING, Betsy F 25 1816 Middlesex
THRING, Samuel M 15 1826 Middlesex
THRING, Frederic M 10 1831 Middlesex
THRING, Alfred M 10 1831 Middlesex
THRING, Henry M 5 1836 Middlesex
THRING, James M 3 1838 Middlesex
THRING, Emma F 1 1840 Middlesex
OAKFORD, Jane F 10 1831 Middlesex

further child on 15Mar1845 Francis died 1929 Natal

Registration District:Marylebone
Sub District:Rectory

Civil Parish:St Marylebone
Municipal Borough:Marylebone
Address: Marylebone Lane, St Marylebone, Marylebone Middlesex
----------
marriage Samuel James Thring to Elizabeth Treleaven - 10 Aug 1835 Westminster St Pauls Convent

dave

Hi
Found the following in St Mary Le Bowe Hallows, St Pancras, London parish regs

Children to James and Susanna Thring

Harriet b 14 Apr 1782
Elizabeth b 27 Sep 1785

and at St Botolph Bishopsgate, London

James Feb 1775
Maria Apr 1777
Martha Jul 1778

deaths

James 18 Apr 1819 (75)
Susannah 16 Oct 1785 (40)

dave

Last edited:

oznannie

Loyal Member
Probably got this one
Baptism Samuel Thring
26.3.1790 St Botolph's Bishopsgate
to James & Susannah.

ozn

something to keep to one side for later family tree archives
Mark Samuel Thring 1899-1902
Campaign Medals South African Colonial Corp
South African Mounted Irregular Forces
Standerton Mounted Police
Second Boer War
Regiment or Unit... Steinaker's Horse

Last edited:
Hi.
I'm a descendant of Samuel James Thring who emigrated from London to Veralum in South Africa. My great grandfather is Francis Thring and my Grandfather is Reginald Thring. My father is Kemp Thring and so far from what I'm able to ascertain from my research is that my father is this longest lived of the male descents. My father is 89 years old.
I have the family bible that belonged to Francis Thring along with a few family photos.
Wilfred Thring who resides in Cape Town Sth Africa is a descendant of Alfred Thring. He is a retired Judge of the High Court in Cape Town. I am willing to exchange information you may have on the Thring family. I'm interested to know more info on Samuel James sisters -Harriet, Elizabeth, Maria and Martha.
Regards.
Lionel Thring

oznannie

Loyal Member
Welcome aboard Lionel
I'm sure Peter will be very pleased to read your post.
Well done to you for sharing your family.
I'm not sure about the 4 sisters of Samuel before marriage rego
if indeed they married.
ozn

Last edited:
Hi Lionel,

Thanks for making contact. I am not a descendant of a Thring, but my interest lay in an Alfred Lester Thring. I traced his pedigree until I reached Samuel who I saw was married twice. Now the Alfred Lester was the son of Alfred (born 1830?
) and his father was Samuel but I also am trying to find out who Samuels first wife is.

Unfortunately I do not have any of the information you need, but will certainly pass it on should I stumble across and info regarding Samuel Sr. sisters.

Regards,

Peter

Hi,

I am also a decendant of Reginald Thring (i think). I also think that my Gran may have been your dad's sister? Not sure exactly where I fit in, but with my limited research I do believe that I am getting closer to finding some family members.

My Gran was Phyllis Dorothy Thring. Married to Riddell Rorke Stanton. She also had a sister named Doreen. (there was a story that her dad/grand dad was Veldkornet Thring)
I know very little about the family, hope you will be able to share some more info with me.

Thanks
Melanie

Hi.
I'm a descendant of Samuel James Thring who emigrated from London to Veralum in South Africa. My great grandfather is Francis Thring and my Grandfather is Reginald Thring. My father is Kemp Thring and so far from what I'm able to ascertain from my research is that my father is this longest lived of the male descents. My father is 89 years old.
I have the family bible that belonged to Francis Thring along with a few family photos.
Wilfred Thring who resides in Cape Town Sth Africa is a descendant of Alfred Thring. He is a retired Judge of the High Court in Cape Town. I am willing to exchange information you may have on the Thring family. I'm interested to know more info on Samuel James sisters -Harriet, Elizabeth, Maria and Martha.
Regards.
Lionel Thring

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Melanie
Welcome aboard. I'm sure you will learn a lot here about your family tree.
Good luck with it.

Oznannie :)

ps I love the name of your location, I just had to Google it!!