• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Am I allowed to ask this

As a frequent lurker in all things Genealogical I am baffled about getting the biggest bang for the buck. What is the most efficient and most comprehensive of all the subscription sites. I am prepared to subscribe but to which one? comments please

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
As a frequent lurker in all things Genealogical I am baffled about getting the biggest bang for the buck. What is the most efficient and most comprehensive of all the subscription sites. I am prepared to subscribe but to which one? comments please

Hi cobourgladdie,
I personally use the Ancestry site. They do a 2week freebie, so you can have a look before you commit. It offers different packages according to what you require.
Because it goes worldwide ish, I have found it useful.
There are loads of other freebies, which I assume you have found, which you can use.
No doubt there are others, which you will find out when others reply to this thread.

Good luck, and good 'hunting'.

Steve.:)

Hi. I have a similar problem as I only have access by mobile phone and cannot access page on any of the sites to subscribe or buy credits etc even though I have logged in ok. .

I am a full time carer for my husband so can't get out to libraries and can't afford to have land phone installed. Any help is appreciated.

Gwenyth

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi. I have a similar problem as I only have access by mobile phone and cannot access page on any of the sites to subscribe or buy credits etc even though I have logged in ok. .

I am a full time carer for my husband so can't get out to libraries and can't afford to have land phone installed. Any help is appreciated.

Gwenyth
Hi Gwenyth, Thats what we are here for .helpusall
Ask away.

Steve.:)

JMR

Valued Member
Hi there,

I agree that Ancestry is the best value for money currently and seems to have an increasing number of records available consistently.

Check your options for subscriptions carefully. There are different levels available. If you have relatives in Aus Can or USA try looking at Ancestry.com.au. They had a special on the full worldwide membership recently that was cheaper than joining Ancestry.co.uk basic membership. It alway pays to check thoroughly as prices often cary from week to week!

Cheers,
Jill

not strictly what you asked for, cos they dont ask for money (but thats even better!) I have found the church of jesus christ and latterday saints (the mormons) to be very helpful. they have some records available online at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp , but if you go to one of their family history centres (should be able to find your local one from their website) you can search all of the censuses up to 1901, birth marriage and death records and most of the surviving parish registers, there may be other records available too if you ask them. As they are an international they may well hold overseas records too. The staff at the family history centres are really clued up on genealogy and are usually very helpful.
the best thing though is that its all for free!
I should point out that I have no connection with them other than having used their extensive genealogical resources.
hope this helps

Jon

duckweed

Loyal Member
I would give one word of warning about family search as some of its answers are based on someone doing their family tree and the data is not always accurate. I've found relatives wrongly linked to someone else's family and place names being put as completely the wrong county. If something seems dodgy ask here for someone to check it as members use a wide range of search sites themselves. The best is original documents but not everybody can afford to send for these.

JMR

Valued Member
Good counsel Duckweed. You are right, many people attach other people's information as though it was well researched in the first place.

I am as guilty as anyone else in as much as I often "park" information until I can 'prove' it myself. If any one else copied it though they would think that I had authentic research, but I'm just playing around to see what the database throws up. I've made my tree private now, so I can't steer anyone in a wrong direction, but I know people have copied the wrong info from me in the past.

The great thing is that once you are part of the FH community you can open up conversations with others. I swap photos and certificates, 1911 census transcripts with my multitude of 3rd cousins and between us we thrash out the challenges. This is the true value of a membership to one of the FH sites.

Cheers,
Jill

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I always double check what people have put on the internet about my tree. I have even had birthplaces of the IGI given as Norwich, Devon, England or Westminster, Surrey.

Approximate years of births on an IGI submitted entry are to be treated with suspicios as these are memerly guesses taken from an average age at marriage.

Ben