• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

American relatives

Hi,

I'm English and I would be interested to know more about my American family history. I discovered that my maternal grandmother Sylvia married an American soldier after the war. They went to live in the U.S. in Missouri. They had a daughter named Teressa (my aunt).

Their second daughter (my mother) was born in England. Were my grandparents divorced when my mother was born? Also is my grandfather still alive?

My grandfather is M. Sgt Charles E Garrett, U.S. Army.

Hi Rayne

Apart from the outward journey in Mar 1946 where Sylvia travels to Gartfield St, Unionville, Missouri to join her husband Charles, there are two inward records.
All three give a home address for Sylvia as Clays Farm Hockfield, Basingstoke.

1 - Sylvia 24, Teressa 4 from USA to Plymouth 13 Dec 1950 on board French Line 'Ile De France'

2 - Sylvia 26 Teressa 6 from USA to Southampton 11 Mar 1953 on board Cunard Line 'Queen Elizabeth'

this would make Teressa's birth late 1946/early 1947 - no sign of Charles

EDIT
Just found another trip to USA
Sylvia 25 and Teressa 4 travelled to USA on board General Alexander M Patch on 9 Oct 1951 from Southampton. Their sponsor was WOJG C.E. Garrett, US Army
dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for finding those about my young grandmother and child aunt as they were. They did a lot of travelling didn't they? I assume they did this to visit relatives? My great grandmother was alive then and Sylvia had a few siblings. Maybe she wanted to see them.

I can only go by what few conversations I had with my mother in the past, and of what my dad said who used to know them all. My mother can't remember her dad. I'm sure there was a divorce rather than Sylvia being widowed. My aunt was a child when she visited my grandad. Something happened and they never saw him again, either he died or they were already apart.

It's really weird now that I must have distant relations in America!

If anyone knows about him or his family line that would be helpful.

Rayne