• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

American working class family home?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

What would an average American working class family home have looked like in Victorian times? Would it sometimes be a bungalow or an upstairs house as American architecture and housing styles are different to England.

Ben

leefer

Loyal Member
Re: American working clas family home?

That house in Saugas built in 1680 is stunning.....houses havnt really got better in time structure wise...warmer and more comfortable maybe....some good photos on there Gibbo.

gibbo

Loyal Member

That house in Saugas built in 1680 is stunning.....houses havnt really got better in time structure wise...warmer and more comfortable maybe....some good photos on there Gibbo.

Hey Lee, what about the barn that is 4 stories high and is supported by tree trunks!

leefer

Loyal Member

Saw that,,,seriously old,looks like a boy i went to school with....i learnt to run fast on account of him trying to tackle me while playing rugby!
He was BIG.

gibbo

Loyal Member

Saw that,,,seriously old,looks like a boy i went to school with....i learnt to run fast on account of him trying to tackle me while playing rugby!
He was BIG.
My first thought was it would be a white ants picnic:rolleyes: dont know how they would have kept the white ants out of that barn for that long for it to have survived.

laxdoc

The house would depend were located. Size of town, city, or rural.
In large cities had multistorie tenaments; ie. New York.
In Wilmington, N.C. we have an 1860 brick two story house.
It has three rooms up stairs and three rooms down on ground floor.
On ground floor the center room is the largest, kitchen and living room.
The three upstairs rooms are bedrooms. On the ground floor poss work rooms.

The house was middle class skilled workman.

Charles

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member

My 3xgreat grandad was living with his daughter, son in law, son in laws brother and two grandchildren in the 1900 census in Pennsylvania. So there were 6 people in the house and the head of the household which was his son in law was a mine engineer. I wonder if that was a two storey house then?

gibbo

Loyal Member

My 3xgreat grandad was living with his daughter, son in law, son in laws brother and two grandchildren in the 1900 census in Pennsylvania. So there were 6 people in the house and the head of the household which was his son in law was a mine engineer. I wonder if that was a two storey house then?
Hi Ben, if you had the address you could check it out on street view and see what shows up. Been a mine engineer and having 6 people in the house makes you wonder if it may have been a large home??...food for thought.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member

Hi Gibbo

Yes the census says they rented it. It was North Fayette Township 5th precinct but the street name is not given on the census entry. It was the 268th house to be enumerated in that district.

Ben

gibbo

Loyal Member

Hi Gibbo

Yes the census says they rented it. It was North Fayette Township 5th precinct but the street name is not given on the census entry. It was the 268th house to be enumerated in that district.

Ben
Been a mine engineer maybe he rented it from the mining company?? Would have been interesting to have a sticky at it.

gibbo

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member

I think it probably was a two storey house. My 3xgreat grandfather probably had his bedroom upstairs if it was so. I think he was retired by the 1900 census.

marie44

I think it probably was a two storey house. My 3xgreat grandfather probably had his bedroom upstairs if it was so. I think he was retired by the 1900 census.
with my experience being an American and living back where a lot of this started i could bet you it was a 2-story house. and the bedrooms would be upstairs. except maybe the master of the house. and the little house out back in the country was usually in the basement in town. :)

Marie44

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Marie

I also would think that as well. A two storey house.

Wouldn't it been good if my 3xgreat grandfather Thomas Musgrave and your 2xgreat grandfather Joseph Renshaw who both ended up in America were best friends. Joseph could have left Thomas his life story then on a trip to America I found Thomas's old belongings at one of his descendants houses and amongst it was his best mate Joseph Renshaw's life story. :biggrin: