• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Amusing anecdotes

ianto73

Valued Member
During my military service, I was the company clerk for one of the companies and our Company Sergeant Major was posted from the Battalion. Some weeks later as I turned over a page in our office diary he left the following note:-

"If at first you don't succeed, give up and get on with a job you can finish today"!!!!

Any others, folks, after all, a laugh a day keeps the doctor away!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Brian

During my military service, I was the company clerk for one of the companies and our Company Sergeant Major was posted from the Battalion. Some weeks later as I turned over a page in our office diary he left the following note:-

"If at first you don't succeed, give up and get on with a job you can finish today"!!!!

Any others, folks, after all, a laugh a day keeps the doctor away!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Brian
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms

ianto73

Valued Member
Our Regimental Sergeant Major was taking the young Subalterns (2nd Lt/Lt) on sword drill when one of them did something wrong. The RSM said and I quote, "Mr ********, can I remind you that is not a toothpick you are holding" unquote !!!

Also, during my training, the Platoon Sergeant made the following statement:-

"In every training platoon we have one person who has the ambitions to be a Field Marshall but is only blessed with the brains of a field mouse".

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jackson

The story goes that our RSM was doing an inspection one day, when he came across a recruit he decided to pick on. With his swagger stick he poked the recruit in the chest and said "there is a grub at the end of this stick" to which the recruit replied "not this end sir"

ianto73

Valued Member
In the small mining village where I was born, my late grandfather was a "Fireman" underground i.e. he was like the foreman in charge of all the men.
About 10 doors away from his house was the club they all drank in and on Sundays, he would send anyone home that did not have a shirt and tie on. I asked the person who told me this (he had worked with my grandfather) how he could make anyone do this, his reply was and I quote, "Well, easy really, no-one wanted the hardest and worst job he could hand out on a Monday", unquote.
Brian

leefer

Loyal Member
Me and my late mother in law didnt see eye to eye in the early days..one day she said something and Donnami(my wife)asked her to apologise to me.
Through gritted teeth she said......i am apologising for what i said to you,but i know i am right!....in later years we laughed together about it and we became firm friends........a lovely lady whos life was ruined by WW2 like a lot of other poor folk.