• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

An intriguing story

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've been contacted by someone descended from my great great grandmother. They have had a DNA test done and it suggested that there is a substantial percentage of African there. So they started researching their family tree. Aha they found someone born in Bermuda and thought that was it but she was actually of Irish and English origin. She was my great grandmother. I told them I didn't know about her appearance but my grandmother had violet blue eyes and pale skin and there doesn't appear to be any african traits. Looked into physical description of her Grandfather (In his military records) and he is described as having hazel eyes and light brown hair. DNA experts seem to think it comes from our line. Have they made mistake of which family line it originates from or is there some African blood deeper down then they say. As our branch lived on the Kent coast I wouldn't be surprised if our DNA was quite mixed but not seen any evidence of it.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi DW,
It is very intriguing isnt it? I dont know anything about DNA but have read that you have to be careful with who does it. Did they use a reliable company to do the DNA etc?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I don't know. Will have to ask her more about it. Now my husbands family I could believe some more exotic DNA as he has very dark brown eyes.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Yes but I believe it depends on percentages. The higher percent means there is a near relative of that origin. The further generations back the less percentage there is.