• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ancestor siblings.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I usually trace direct ancestors but recently I have been doing more research on direct ancestor siblings. It can lead you on a merry trail. And it can help you get back on direct rellies even further now.

I am quite enjoying it as I have found one who went to Liverpool to work there. Thirza Snell's brother went to Liverpool. My 3xgreat uncle.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
I am doing that too at the moment. Makes it more interesting and you can discount some families stories like great uncle Ambrose was killed in a colliery accident, his wife went into labour and died too. Never happened! Ambrose was widowed, married again and died aged 76. Could have been one of his brothers tho so keeps you going to solve the mystery.

:D

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I find that tracing relatives siblings can help to overcome the name changes that occur in the census records, I suppose the information on the census is the informant may only know a person by a 'family' name or a known as. This often makes direct links almost impossible.

Peter

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
:2fun::2fun:.....the census is generally the easy bit, try tracking them down before that......in parish records, pre the census. The census is only a 70 year window roughly, so going beyond that is the real hardship and challenge.

How would you track a rellie, from Cambridgeshire, who then moves to Bedfordshire or beyond in the early 1770's. Loads of 'alien abductions' going on.:2fun:

I'm almost sure my Grahams were from Scotland, and settled in the Manchester area in the late 1700's, but going further back is almost impossible.

I have had some success with other family names, but only by other families tracking forward from the mid 1500's, to present day and then they coincide with my rellies that I track backwards from the present.......and they 'collide' somewhere in the middle.:2fun:

There was one person, who appeared in the Oxfordshire parish records(well before the census), in a baptism of a child of the family of Wharburton, of Lancashire(I think), but they were certainly from the north of England. The father was a corn and grain dealer, so I assumed he was from the Warburton Bread manufactures of Bolton, dynasty.

Not an easy path from from 'ooop north', to Oxforshire.:2fun::2fun:

All good fun, and completely frustrating at times.:rolleyes:

Steve.:)

leefer

Loyal Member
:2fun::2fun:.....the census is generally the easy bit, try tracking them down before that......in parish records, pre the census. The census is only a 70 year window roughly, so going beyond that is the real hardship and challenge.

How would you track a rellie, from Cambridgeshire, who then moves to Bedfordshire or beyond in the early 1770's. Loads of 'alien abductions' going on.:2fun:

I'm almost sure my Grahams were from Scotland, and settled in the Manchester area in the late 1700's, but going further back is almost impossible.

I have had some success with other family names, but only by other families tracking forward from the mid 1500's, to present day and then they coincide with my rellies that I track backwards from the present.......and they 'collide' somewhere in the middle.:2fun:

There was one person, who appeared in the Oxfordshire parish records(well before the census), in a baptism of a child of the family of Wharburton, of Lancashire(I think), but they were certainly from the north of England. The father was a corn and grain dealer, so I assumed he was from the Warburton Bread manufactures of Bolton, dynasty.

Not an easy path from from 'ooop north', to Oxforshire.:2fun::2fun:

All good fun, and completely frustrating at times.:rolleyes:

Steve.:)
I notice you spell your Oxfordshire with a good old fashioned west country accent Steve:biggrin:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have managed to trace rellies who have moved around a lot before the census, esp the ones with rare names.

I tracked a rellie who moved from Norwich to London in about 1780. His wife's father was a French Huguenot immigrant. That said wife remarried in 1814 in Burton latimer, Northants.

And I have managed to find many Oxfordshire ancestors who came from surrounding counties such as Berks, Gloucs, Warwks and Bucks.

leefer

Loyal Member
Thats right...you.

Old Swindonians and West Country folk always used to add a ...you on the end of a sentence

IE.....has it been a good day at work you......i agree about the rellies going back a bit.
Many trees become guesswork and word of mouth......still interesting though.
Sadly i just havn't the competence to build a more comprehensive history of my families and it is great fun seeing Trees on the forum falling into place.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I managed to find George Coombs, my 4xgreat grampy's baptism in Bincombe, Dorset in 1790. He died before the 1841 census aged 41 in 1831.

It is sure not easy finding ancestors who moved around before the census and died before the 1841 census or even 1851 esp when they said "Not born in county" in 1841.

George Coombs wife remarried in 1834 in London to James Bradford and in 1841 she says "Not born in county" but dies in early 1851, Feb to be exact. So I have no obvious record of where she was born. I assume she may have also come from Dorset but may have come from Cumberland to Kent or Cornwall or Suffolk.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think I may have found my 3xgreat aunty Eliza Edgington in the 1891 census in Brighton, Sussex, aged 25, single, servant born Oxford, living at regency Square, Brighton. She was the sister of my direct ancestor James Edgington born 1852.

I am finding ancestor siblings virtually as relevant as direct rellies now.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
It will also give names of the 2 witnesses and residence. I have many marriage certs of ancestors and their siblings.

I suppose an ancestors sibling can be classed as an ancestor.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have found another police officer in the family. Daniel Bradford born 1844, my 4xgreat uncle. He became a police officer and Inspector by the time he retired from the force in 1894.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I just found my 4xgreat uncle's passenger list for his emigration to America.

He landed in New York on the 19th September 1879 on the SS City Of Chester. Nathan Musgrave aged 42 a labourer. He was really a miner but I think they generalised on the lists as when my 3xgreat grandfather Thomas Musgrave emigrated in 1886 he was a miner but the list said labourer.

He was the first in the Musgrave family to emigrate to America although my 5xgreat grampy William Musgrave was in the US from 1775 to 1782 in the army.