• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ancestor with land in Somerset.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My Sussex born ancestor Sit Stephen Borde died in 1630. In the notes of post mortem inquisitions taken in Sussex it says:-

STEPHEN BOORD. Vol. 456, No. 75.

E. G., 6 Oct. 6 Charles. Died last May last.

Heir, son John Boord, esq., aged 21 years 2 months and more.

Lands." Lullings," " Westland," " Graylings " in Cuckfield,
manor of Southworth alias Sugworth in C., " Hardings " in C.,
" Gossales," "Holmwood " in Ardingly, "Pylchards" and "Langlands,"
"Kydland," " Hewland," " Stonyrocks,'* and " Buddishilles " in
Fletching, " Kayiies " in Maresfield, " Bingley," " Twytts," and
"Nethebyn" in Hellingly, " Hothland," " Boords " in Cuckfield,
lands in Rottingdean, " Gosses," " Brookes meadow," " Awell alias
Fullers," " Bartletts," " Southfield," "Sheptons," " Harwardsmead,"
" Brookfields," and "Woodcocks," "Hookes" in Lindfield, " Benfields "
in Newick, " Tryshes " in Wivelsfield, " Fludds " in Hurstpp., third
part of manor of Uphill, co. Somerset, etc

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 1661, Stephen's son still held the land in Uphill apparently. The third and fourth part of the manor of Uphill.

Always wanted a Somerset connection in my direct line, and it appears a direct ancestor held land in Uphill, just south of Weston Super Mare.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have direct ancestors from Somerset only found them last year. Fortunately I found someone with a website who could help me who was not only distantly related to me with the same family, he was also a cousin of a cousin. because the name appears twice in my tree.

They were also landowners the first I've found, but there may be a connection to another part of my tree, but quite distantly.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Seems by 1699, the Borde family still held the land in Somerset. I guess Stephen Borde (1575-1630) wanted a coastal retreat in the West Country, or to buy land there and rent it out.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
My Hippisley family owned properties at Cameley, Ston Easton, East Pennard, Chewton Mendip and Emborough. There were further properties in Bristol but their main houses were at Ston Easton and Cameley.

They branched out to Stanton Fitzwarren in Wiltshire and one of them inherited a house in Lambourn Berkshire.
Cameley Manor and Ston Easton Park are now both Hotels.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
If your ancestors had land in several areas, then you have to think outside the box as to where they could be buried, or where they met their spouses. If someone owned land in Norfolk but usually lived in Essex, they may have met their wife or husband on visits. Or if a young woman's dad had land in Norfolk, she may have gone there and met someone there.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, I was wondering how my Thomasin Hippisley married her husband in Wiltshire, but her father died young and I think her mother may have remarried. As Stanton Fitzwarren ….owned by another member of the family.... was not far from the marriage at Highworth, I guess she may have been living there at the time.
It wasn't unusual for children to live with a richer and more well connected member of the family for them to get on, the aristocracy have always done this. But I have to say I don't think Thomasin married 'up' her husband was a carrier which could mean a host of things, but likely to work for the post office or what ever name it was at the time.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes I have a few in places I wasn't expecting them. Just found something in Lincolnshire and Rutland, but I'm struggling to find any information It's looking like no one has research them at all and there aren't many records.