• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Ancestors who seem to vanish after a census?

benny1982

Staff member
Loyal Member
Hi

I have had 3 cases where and ancestor has just disappeared after a census with no trace yet found of them. I suppose it has been the same for other researchers as well? Here are 3 of mine.

William Taylor. Born 1824 Wimbish, Essex. Last seen on the 1871 census in Canewdon, Essex a labourer. His wife died later that year aged 41. I cannot find a likely death in the registration district of his age group nor can I find him in later censuses. He might have remarried or moved but I would love to find out for sure as William and Taylor are common names yet I have enough info to at least narrow the death entries down.

Sarah Ann Richardson born 1824 in Terling as Sarah Ann May. She wed James Richardson in 1844 and he died in 1868. Sarah is last seen on the 1871 census aged 44 in Terling with a couple of her children. I cannot find her in the 1841 census nor can I find a death for her 1871-1881 in the indexes or even a likely remarriage.

Thomas Musgrave. Born 1827, Darlington, Durham. Living in the 1891 census aged 63, a miner living at St helen Auckland, Durham. He is not anywhere to be seen on the 1901 census nor can I find a possible death and all Thomas Musgrave/Musgrove deaths of his age group who died 1891-1901 have been ruled out.

Wouldn't it be loely to solve such mysteries?

Ben