• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ancestral connections to a place?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 1975 my parents moved from Essex to Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. They then moved to Ormesby St Margaret and then to Fleggburgh and Rollesby. I was born in Great Yarmouth. Due to being born and bought up in the area of Great Yarmouth, I do long for ancestors from that area, or who at least spent time in the area. I have ancestors from Norfolk, but Norwich and the north part of the county. I grew up in Rollesby and the nearest to Rollesby I have an ancestor from is about 8 miles as the crow flies, so quite close.

Do you have to have ancestors from an area to feel part of it, or are parents living there enough? The UK is anybody's land after all.

I suppose parents living in these areas should be more relevant than ancestors, as parents are the closest to you. Grandparents used to come up a lot from Essex to Norfolk, one even spent time in Hemsby, Norfolk for holidays.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
My Paternal ancestors were in my home town parish registers from the 1530's, and the last one of my relatives still lives there. To my best knowledge she is the last one who lives there now.

Makes you wonder how all the burials fit in the one Church graveyard, for almost 500 years.:eek::LOL:......The last one to be buried there was in 2002.

//

solidrock2

Loyal Member
Some of my ancestors came from Essex and some from Sussex and London where I was born. I ended up living in the Great Yarmouth area for about 20 years then moved to Suffolk. So even now we move around quite a bit, will give future generations a bit of work to trace us.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 1689, my ancestors married at Thorpe St Andrew which is on the River Yare which runs into Great Yarmouth, hence how the town gets its name.

My ancestor William Beversham was a tradesman of Orford, Suffolk with links to France and Newcastle, and he had a ship himself. No doubt he sailed past the Great Yarmouth coast to and from Newcastle, and/or his ship did.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Although I live in Essex I was born in the London Borough of Newham (Essex in old registers does that make me an Essex girl??)

So coming from a London borough, not surprising my ancestors are from everywhere, there is hardly a county where I don't have ancestors, but Essex isn't one of them except what is now Newham. Chelmsford still hold the records for Newham though.

I think my ancestors moved about quite a bit because not only did I trace them back to the county they came from, I've often found their ancestors came from a different county before that.

One ancestor William Rudman from Westwood Wiltshire who married Mary Odell from Norwich in 1810 had me wondering how they ever met. But recently I discovered in the Norfolk group I joined on FB, the Wiltshire militia were in Norwich in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. They were there because of a very imminent threat by Nepoleon. not that I have any evidence that my ancestor was in the militia, it could explain why he was there.

Amanda

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Many of my Oxfordshire rellies came from surrounding counties before that, the Snell line original in Marston Meysey, on the Wiltshire, Gliucestershire border.

Same for many of my Essex lot came from Suffolk, and some Suffolk lines came from Norfolk.