• Welcome to Family History Forum πŸ”Ž

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource πŸ“š

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all πŸ”—

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

ancestry websites

kmarie

Hi all, Im having trouble getting the information I need and ive gotten to a point where ive literally hit yet another dead end.Can anyone recommend any good ancestry websites, preferably free because i cant really afford the subscription fees.thanks :)

Wheezyanna

Hi,

It depends what you are looking for...Freebmd is a good site that lists the Birth, Marriage and Deaths recorded from 1837 onwards, however not all are complete.

Ancestry is a good site but you do have to pay for it.

Happy hunting

Claire

DeniseJD

I've had a subscription to the above site for a year and am now ready to renew. I'm unsure if I should stick with the same site or have a change and try another one, what do people think? Is it a case of 'swings and roundabouts' or is it a good idea to have a change? I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Denise

josie7644

Valued Member
Hello,

Find My Past offers a free search of the 1881 census. All you have to do is register by email and sign in whenever you would like to view the transcripts.

Other free sites which can be Googled are:-

LancashireBMD
YorkshireBMD
West MidlandsBMD
Family Search
FreeCen
FreeReg
OnlineParishClerks
Genuki

There is also this one which is updated periodically, so it’s a good idea to check regularly.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=EUROPE

Hope these help!

:) Josie

Hi
It's only a thought, but if you are renewing your sub, and have had a year on one site, it may be worth trying one of the others. They have different records and the transcription interpretations can be different, so you may find something on one which wasn't on the other. You could always get a 14 day trial, but make sure you cancel before the end of the trial period if it's not for you.
(of course, you can stay as you are, and ask this forum to help find anything you cant find)
Some of the sites give you free membership or credits, if you agree to transcribe records.

dave

DeniseJD

Thanks. I'd love to be able to transcribe the records, but I have enough trouble seeing the ones I look at, never mind trying to see lots to understand them! Thanks to all for the ideas for the sites and using the library, I didn't realise that they would have a subscription, I'll try that as well.
:)